Odometer

92Regal

When I bought my Buick, the odometer was not working. Since my speedo is digital and my odometer is analog, how complex would the repair be? Is the cable still connected to the trans?

They are famous for breaking. My 91 quit working at 86k miles. If I understood the previous posts here, the odometers have a little motor in them and the tend to burn out.

Try a seach for odometer or Regal and odometer both.

I just put a full digital dash in mine and that odometer reads pulses from the vss, vehicle speed sensor, no motor. Unfortunately the cluster I installed reflects close to my actual milage or 143k.

A note for those planning the UB3 digtal cluster swap. If you can get the dash instrument bezel, do it because I just noticed that the right side of the bezal on the middle window and both sides on the last one (of the 3) don't line up perfect. You can see the water temp but it cuts off the outline around the guage.

Guest TurboSedan

i know this has been gone over before but i did a search and came up empty handed. is it possible to change the odometer reading on a UB3 digital gauges cluster in the Cutlass Supreme? when i swapped mine in it read about 20,000 miles too high. i don't want to set it to zero or 55,000 miles or anything illegal; i just want it to be accurate. it reads 228,xxx miles now but really only has 208,xxx miles....

joshua

i know this has been gone over before but i did a search and came up empty handed. is it possible to change the odometer reading on a UB3 digital gauges cluster in the Cutlass Supreme? when i swapped mine in it read about 20,000 miles too high. i don't want to set it to zero or 55,000 miles or anything illegal; i just want it to be accurate. it reads 228,xxx miles now but really only has 208,xxx miles....

joshua

It would be possible but I dont think anyone has figured out where the odometer reading is stored.

The digital odometer can be re-programmed to display a different readout but the tools are expensive and having it re-programmed is expensive. You can search google about companies dealing with re-programming digital odometer.

• 10 months later...

there is a little 3 pin connector inside the odometer that runs a little motor it either came loose (thats what happend to my regal) or the little motor quit. i have one if you need it.

joshua

I've heard it costs $50 to reprogram those things.

Apparently there's no hacker community for digital odometers either so there's ZERO information out there. I wish I had a spare Cutlass UB3 cluster so I could start swapping chips and find out which chip stores the mileage.

Of course, you could also hook up a 555-timer chip based circuit that will run the thing at 199mph. If the odometer rolls over at 1-million miles, by my calculations it would take 205-days @ 199mph to make the odometer accurate!!!

GM is tricky. I bought a Denali cluster for my truck with 25k miles. My truck actually has 121k miles, so I needed to advance the odometer 96k miles. I built a 555 timer circuit and experimented with different speeds. Turns out the truck cluster odometer is accurate to about 2000mph! So at 2000mph, it only took 48-hours to advance the odometer to match my existing cluster. BUT, the sneaky bastards at GM put in some kind of code that checks for this. If I run the cluster faster than a certain speed, it'll show the mileage advancing, but once power is removed, it resets back to what it was before. Even if I slow the speed down to 100mph at a later time, it will show the advancing mileage but won't write to memory. If I run it at a slower speed, like 165mph, then it's fine and will write to permanent memory.

If its the same odometer mechanism as in the GP, I can help you. My odometer wasn't working so I took it out and found that the black gear was cracked and it didn't grip well to the main shaft causing the thing not to work. So I just took some crazy glue and it works like new, mind you I enjoyed driving for a couple months without putting any kilometers on the car. It is also a good idea to solder the connections. If it still doesn't work its the motor for sure.

this is good info and welli had thought about searching for it after i got some of the other things fixed on my GP. as my odometer advances sometimes but not all the time.

now when i tear the cluster out to solder for the low fuel light going on and off i can mayb fix the odometer.

Monty

There's a UB3 at the yard if anyone wants it.
i want the pig tail the wiring harness thing that pluges into the ub3 :? i need a spare one for when i swap in my ub3

Unfortunately the cluster I installed reflects close to my actual milage or 143k.

How is that unfortunate?

he wanted to sell his car for 500 instead of 300... 8)