Digital dash conversion

jtmarten

Hi

Possibly looking to convert my '94 CS vert to a digital dash. What years will fit? I've seen 88-91 clusters w/tach, but nothing after that. Also, will they work with a HUD? I read something that said they won't.

Thanks much!

Jeff

One HUD feature will be disabled.... the warning indicator for the check gauges.

Otherwise, the cluster will fit (all 88-94 are the same size) but must be repinned.

however, you will loose the security and airbag warning lights... unless you custom wire them in to an empty socket or after market warning light.

in fact i don't recommend repinning in a CS since there is enough space to splice in a second connector. just make sure if you get a UB3 (the digital cluster with tach used between 88 and 91) that you get as much of the connector as you can with it. Not repinning means you will be able to use the original cluster should the new one be or become defective, or if a probelm develops etc etc....

I have the Pinouts if you need them.

pm stockgp. i bought a convertor connector for the harness, and it is a direct plug in. the best hing i can ell you is that the tach onthe digital cluster uses a different signal for tach, you will have to run the tach wire from the digital cluster down to your diagnostic port and connect the tach wire to the orangish tan wire behind the aldl connector, and make sure you leave the factory custerstach wire disconnected, also the dimming for the digital cluster is useless i left mine disconnected. the ub3 digital cluster works fantastic in my 94 as does it operate well. i use the factory cluster in the winter and the digital the rest of the year,, if you have questons pm me, i went through the whole fun job and it wasnt that hard, especially if you get the connector from stockgp.. my security light is the shift light on the cluster and the airbag light is on the right side in the blank socket, but i had to carve the word air bag on mine because it is painted black on the back side of the cluster face, EASY.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

1) the dimming should work

2) why do you switch?

3) if you switch do you have it repinned or do you have a connector?

4) I didn't think that the tach would work on the 94 due to OBD 1.5

ok the dimming isnt worth it. te reason why i switch is because tere are resistors that get damaged in cooler weather and are common to malfunctioning. i have a connector that pugs into my factory harness. and if you read the post it says how to makethe tach work, because mine works fine it actually seems more accurate, the tach runs off of the aldl chatter. doing research has taught me quite a bit. if you look in the pic you will see that the tach works fine its reading about 1000 rpm because i had just started it, i coudnt not have my tach

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

also i meant to add that your oil pressure sendingunit mst be changed because the factory sending unit on the 94 is a dummy sender and is short with a 3 wire plug, you nee the long one with the 3 wire plug. this is also an easy switch

also i meant to add that your oil pressure sendingunit mst be changed because the factory sending unit on the 94 is a dummy sender and is short with a 3 wire plug, you nee the long one with the 3 wire plug. this is also an easy switch

that i havent got around to doing yet. speking of which, thanks for reminding me, im hitting up some yards tomorrow and will just grab one :thumb:

alright, I'll try and grab a few. I've been driving without the other unit for over a yaer :lol: only time it worried me is when this engine first went in. It would be nice to finally have a correct reading, though!

It would be nice to finally have a correct reading, though!

:werd:

My gauge never moves! WTF is the point? :willynilly:

what year is your car again steve? or the engine specifically?

they made them into fake gauges.... hell knows why.

I am running my 92 with a read sender and a fake guage. basically it works on a compressed scale. but i want a real early 92 only cluster with a real oil guage... (not a digi ub3)

• 5 years later...

I just purchased a digital ub3 dash from a yard out of a 91 cs 4dr. Plan on putting it into my 94 vert.

Does anyone still make an adaptor to do this or am I s.o.l.

Ive read thou this on here. Am I going to have an issue with the donor car being a 3.1 and my vert is a 3.4?

Will all the gauges read correctly?

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks. I thought I had read a different one but after almost 1.5 hours of looking and reading different ones I figured it would just be easier to ask, figuring one of you long time guys on here would know quicker than me.

Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally getting around to installing this. But when I went to run the tach wire I have no orangish wire there. There is only 3 wires. Green wire and black.

Now what do I do?

post-7449-143689110503_thumb.jpg