Proper Transmission Temp.

97loudcut

Okay now that I got my transmission temperature gauge I am wondering how accurate it is.

On the cold night (about 20* out) my gauge was read 150* and this was doing a constant 75mph all the way back from Toledo on I-75.

Today it was about 45* and I was driving in traffic and it was reading almost 170*

I know the gauge is working because the temperature flucuates, but do these sound like accurate temperatures?

I don't know if this makes a diffrence, but that GearLube additive I have in my transmission fluid claims to lower transmission temps.

They sound pretty good to me. Pretty much ( for a transmission ) anything under 200* is good. When you get close to 200* or go over... start to worry.

Okay, well I figure I got the gauges so I mine as well be able to understand them.

The A/F still gets me. When I punch it, it finally stops moving and it sticks at "Rich" until I let off a little bit then it goes bonkers again.

What kinda guage do you have? Where is it mounted (before/after the radiator?)

When I went to Mr.Transmission the guy had a thing he pointed at my transmission and said it was at 250*... my tranny fluid does turn black like coffee but I dunno if it's quite that hot :dunno:

Thats normal ATF temp....hopefully you put it either in the pan or in the output of the cooler lines. Like others said, when it gets over a bit over 200, let off. I think trucks go red at 230....I think.

The A/F gauge goes wacko because thats how the system works.....kind of annoying. I used to have one, never got the ATF gauge hooked up.

When I went to Mr.Transmission the guy had a thing he pointed at my transmission and said it was at 250*... my tranny fluid does turn black like coffee but I dunno if it's quite that hot :dunno:

You have some wierd transmission problems. The fluid should never be black, and if your transmission is running at 250* it's FUBR'ed.

I changed my fluid almost a year ago and it is as red as can be with no burnt smell to it. Sounds like your 4t60-e is on it's last leg.

You have some wierd transmission problems. The fluid should never be black, and if your transmission is running at 250* it's FUBR'ed.

I changed my fluid almost a year ago and it is as red as can be with no burnt smell to it. Sounds like your 4t60-e is on it's last leg.

Yeah, C-BAD has some problems with his and has found metal pieces in his pan.

Like I said I would say that's probably normal for the trans temp. About the A/F ratio I would say thats about right also.

yeah...that temp is about right...mine stays about the same...as for the A/F gauge...right on...thats how mine works when i watch the 02's...they stay constant @ WOT but they go all over the place @ cruise or idle or whatever...

You just put it in the pressure tap? Hmm...I don't see why that wouldn't work. Its just that I would like to see the hottest possible temp....and thats right as it leaves the transmission for the cooler, because it just left the torque converter (the greatest source of heat) at that point.

The A/F still gets me. When I punch it, it finally stops moving and it sticks at "Rich" until I let off a little bit then it goes bonkers again.

That's what it's supposed to do. That's why I recommended wiring in an on/off switch.

You just put it in the pressure tap? Hmm...I don't see why that wouldn't work. Its just that I would like to see the hottest possible temp....and thats right as it leaves the transmission for the cooler, because it just left the torque converter (the greatest source of heat) at that point.

No it's a whole new big gold screw that screws directly into the top of the transmission inplace of the old screw. Meaning the bottom of the screw is sitting right inside the transmission. I can't imagine a better was to do it.

I'd pry put a T inbetween the cooler line and transmission.

What old screw are you talking about? There is a plug for the pressure tap...is this what it is? Or are you talking about some other random bolt? It needs to measure the fluid temp...not the transmission temp.

I'd pry put a T inbetween the cooler line and transmission.

What old screw are you talking about? There is a plug for the pressure tap...is this what it is? Or are you talking about some other random bolt? It needs to measure the fluid temp...not the transmission temp.

It's installed in the pressure tap.