Remove heads with engine in the car?

91GPSTE

did you buy and use the torque angle meter?

Hell no! I just went by feel. After I did all the bolts and checked the torque, I went around each bolt and tightened them all up to 60 ft-lbs so there are no flat spots in the gasket and all the bolts are tightened evenly. I don't trust these angle measurements because that is not a proper way to tighten bolts, especially head gasket bolts. It may be a bit overtightened but at least, they will all be tightened equally.

I know this sounds ignant, but I wouldn't worry about it all that much. When I was putting my heads back on the Cutlass, my brother distracted me about halfway through one head. I'm pretty sure I did the at least an extra 45* or so on one bolt because I couldn't remember where I had left off. Haven't had a problem, that was prolly 6k ago.

I know this sounds ignant, but I wouldn't worry about it all that much. When I was putting my heads back on the Cutlass, my brother distracted me about halfway through one head. I'm pretty sure I did the at least an extra 45* or so on one bolt because I couldn't remember where I had left off. Haven't had a problem, that was prolly 6k ago.

That's why you never interrupt somebody who is torquing!!!

Hey Pabz. I have a question. I just did the same thing and have a topic on this, but my question is about one of your pics. What is the o-ring for that is shown during the 4th day. I didn't get an o-ring in my gasket kits and was wondering what the o-ring is for ??????????????????????

Hey Pabz. I have a question. I just did the same thing and have a topic on this, but my question is about one of your pics. What is the o-ring for that is shown during the 4th day. I didn't get an o-ring in my gasket kits and was wondering what the o-ring is for ??????????????????????

That looks to be the distributor shaft O-ring. In Pabz's second pic on day 4 you can see the dummy shaft for it, the circular sliver thing on the block.

I see. So does that o-ring still go in? I don't even remeber seeing that let alone getting an o-ring.

I'm not sure what you're asking but I would replace it simply because the O-ring is prone to leaks.

I see. So does that o-ring still go in? I don't even remeber seeing that let alone getting an o-ring.

You can buy that O-ring separately, I think. Like Tony said, I'd replace it too, especially if you have the LIM or heads off, much easier with that stuff out of the way.

You can buy that O-ring separately, I think. Like Tony said, I'd replace it too, especially if you have the LIM or heads off, much easier with that stuff out of the way.

Yeah, NAPA sells a kit with 2 O-rings. It's not even behind the counter either.

Preventative maintenance is key, since the heads are off, might as well replace the O-ring, save you a huge headache, and your garage floor or driveway from major oil stains. Besides the stock one is brittle, stiff and really not good.

Preventative maintenance is not a key here. If it hasn't been taken off in 15 years and doesn't show any signs of leakege, it's not going to start leaking all of a sudden. There are no moving parts in that part of the engine, nothing to stress that o-ring. Plus, the plug is probably welded on there by now.

When i did mine a few weeks ago i got a o ring didnt know what it was for i thought the dummy shaft but there wasnt an o ring on it. Plus the o ring wouldnt fit on the shaft. So we just put a little rtv on the end of the shaft. Its workin gfine now no more oil stains. :mrgreen:

When i did mine a few weeks ago i got a o ring didnt know what it was for i thought the dummy shaft but there wasnt an o ring on it. Plus the o ring wouldnt fit on the shaft. So we just put a little rtv on the end of the shaft. Its workin gfine now no more oil stains. :mrgreen:

Just so you know, the new O-ring is a very tight fit on the dummy shaft. It takes some convincing to get a new O-ring on that shaft. And, the old one is usually so hard you think it's metal and part of the shaft.

I am sorry that this post is now off topic. The title of the topic is "Remove heads with engine in the car?"

My answer is yes you can, I did and now I have all sorts of problems :willynilly:

So back to my sub topic :lol:

Does this o-ring have to be on? Cause I never pulled it off my 3100. What if theres no o-ring there, will this cause a problem? By the way see my post, http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,51743.0.html Don't think that this o-ring would be the cause of my problems.

I am sorry that this post is now off topic. The title of the topic is "Remove heads with engine in the car?"

My answer is yes you can, I did and now I have all sorts of problems :willynilly:

Does this o-ring have to be on? Cause I never pulled it off my 3100. What if theres no o-ring there, will this cause a problem? By the way see my post, http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,51743.0.html Don't think that this o-ring would be the cause of my problems.

I posted in your other thread, BTW i hope you replaced that o-ring!

No it wont cause you a prob with running. BUT it will still leak oil like a mother fuker. Therefor defying the point of the gasket change to begin with.

That looks to be the distributor shaft O-ring. In Pabz's second pic on day 4 you can see the dummy shaft for it, the circular sliver thing on the block.

Thats not a dummy shaft. It is the oil pump drive, correct???????

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~ployola/W-body/BrokenHeadBolt/Day4/slides/IMG_9621.html

Thats not a dummy shaft. It is the oil pump drive, correct???????

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~ployola/W-body/BrokenHeadBolt/Day4/slides/IMG_9621.html

Yeah, I know that. I call it a dummy shaft because that's where the distributor used to go on the non-DIS 2.8Ls