Which one of these components is likely to be bad???

Larry M

Take a AA battery with a speaker lead taped to each end, then put one lead to the + and one to the - on the speaker terminal. If you hear it crackling or popping, you know the speaker is good. Then, take a multimeter and measure the voltage going into the amp. Be sure to test it with the ignition on and off to be sure that it is being told to turn on.

WEll, I took my car to Circuit City and they replaced the old Polk Audio speakers with a pair of Eclipse 6-1/2" three-way speakers.

It's plenty of sound for me. LOL

About $215 with labor and 4-yr. protection plan. They said with my amp, it would be possible to blow them if I don't back off when I hear distortion. I wouldn't know. They said distortion is what ruins speakers, not volume, generally.

Thanks for your input, guys. I guess you are mostly guys, eh! ; )

Yep, they are right. Distortion will kill the speakers. Also, too much or not enough power will kill them just as quick.

Basically, if it sounds like it's crackling, popping, or rattling, turn it down a notch or two until they stop doing that. Then your safe.