NGK's

Mach 5

Would these work on a 3.1 or would the ignition system kill it? I figured that since my dad was happy with these on his car (2003 Mini Cooper S), that these might be good on mine. Im hoping this will give me better gas mileage as I get 14mpg. His car went up from 30 to 37 on his.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/cars_trucks_suvs/iridiumix.asp?nav=11420&country=US

There's no point in using that expensive of a plug in a lowly little 3.1.

Just use the plain AC Delco's. You shouldn't see that much of an increase in gas milage unless the ones in there are in pisspoor condition.

I find it hard to believe that he got 7 miles more to a gallon by just changing plugs. Get the $1.50 AC Delco copper plugs. Theres no point in buying such expensive plugs.

How do you find it hard to believe? My dad drives a ricey 4 cylinder. The original plugs would get about 30mpg. After about 56,000 miles before I changed them, he was getting barely 25mpg. With these new iridium plugs he gets about 37- 40 highway and 20-25 city. The jump is all depending on his driving mood. Its this big jump that is making me want to buy them since he just proved it. My question is would it work? That lowly little 3.1 is a decent engine in a car that I love to drive.

how were his plugs at 56,000 miles? Were they long life ones or ?

I have NGK iridiums in my engine under the AC delco stamp. They are ok, but I don't think they make them pre-gapped at .040" like you need. Adjusting the gap may not be a good idea on these since there is an iridium "patch" on the outer electrode that won't be in line with the center electrode in that case.

On a side note, we still gotta meet up. I gotta see that car. I've always liked white '89-90 SE's

well, after 56,000 just about any stock-plug could stand a change. so even putting factory replacements in most likely would have yeilded the results you saw.

NGKs are good plugs and all, i like to use them on imports myself. but for my GM cars i use standard run of the mill ACD plugs.

if you are getting 14mpg. is that highway or city? if thats highway, i'd consider a full tuneup, because plugs aren't gona be the only factor in that number.

personally i didnt leik the irruidumrs in my tgp

I have Iridiums in my TGP and they seem to work well. What do you use for plugs?

NGK are all I run in my RX-7....running straight Delcos in my Lumina though....I picked up a good 7mpg after my tune up as well...if you leave things long enough they will have a very negative effect on mileage...I barely noticed ANY performance gains from the tune up..but at least I'm getting decent mileage...if it's only making 140hp I want to see 4 cylinder like economy lol

glow plugs FTW

haha! yeah!

denso's are def good from what i hear about people using them. i had ngk iridium in mine, which i liked. i swapped them for delcos cause i thought i was having a problem with one of them. since my car runs like ass right now i can't really tell the difference. well the last time i actually drove it two months ago i couldn't tell