Common Noises?

supreme_style21

What exactly IS that ticking noise that 3100's make when they are started up? Like when I start it in the morning for work, theres that ticktickticktick that continues until it warms up. I understand its a common and harmless thing w/ the 3100's?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supreme_style21

• ismellrealbad

• Robby1870

• cutlassdude96

yeah, thats what I have heard too. However, piston slap cant be a good thing. Or, it could be your injectors. They start ticking loudly when they are going out

Robby

Injectors tick LOUDER when they are going out. Most tick lightly all the time.

yeah, thats what I meant, I just didnt convey it well

Robby

Piston slap, the teflon coating on the skirts is worn off or your engine has pistons with no teflon coating at all. Very common problem and a fun job too, it will get worse believe me.

How loud is LOUD when an injector's going out? You can hear it with the hood up? hood down? Inside the cab? Cuz I can faintly hear mine when the' hood's down, but not inside the car. When they do finally go, do they seize up? or do they fail in the open position? They're piezo devices, aren't they?

you cant hear a bad injector in the cab. Use a screw driver as a stethoscope to find the one making the most noise. Usually when the start going bad, they clog up, and wont deliver the proper amount of fuel, making it run lean.

Robby

Oh boy.. the noise that comes outta mine you can sure hear inside the car! It doesn't make the noise if its been running earlier in the day, or once it's warmed up, but if it sits for a day and I start 'er up, its very noticible. I get the 'what the hell is wrong with his car' looks from people. Mechanic had told me that it is a common thing w/3100's and is nothing to worry about. He said he could fix it, but the noise will come back in about 20,000 miles.

All I can say is it doesn't sound good for the engine.

We all have this problem it seems :)

Im in the process of figuring out what makes the noise but nobody is certain what does it.

so far ive heard

piston slap

injectors bad/dirty/clogged

it normal

its not normal

it comes from other various things etc, etc.

It would be nice if we could find a solution because that noise is really embarrassing!

We all have this problem it seems :)

Im in the process of figuring out what makes the noise but nobody is certain what does it.

so far ive heard

piston slap

injectors bad/dirty/clogged

it normal

its not normal

it comes from other various things etc, etc.

It would be nice if we could find a solution because that noise is really embarrassing!

Very embarrassing.

I've also been told its lifters or valves too. I got a buddy w/ a '97 Supreme and when he first bought it, I knew nothing about them, and he started it up and it was making that clacking noise, and I'm like, whoa dude! Something is wrong with your engine.. I think you got jacked on that deal!

Can someone please make a sound recording of that noise into any audio format (*.mp3 is smaller) so we can compare the noise that we are talking about. I'm interested on hearing that noise and for the pursuit of knowledge. Thanks :)

Same thing with your signature picture. If you have uploaded that signature picture then just upload it the same way and provide us the link. Or subscribe to a free website like http://www.fortunecity.com or http://www.strike9.com and upload those files and give us the link. I'd recommend converting that file to mp3 format if possible since that format makes the filesize smaller.

i get this noise too. and its definatley ebarrassing, very loud (audible form inside easily), and i also get the "what the hells wrong with ur car" question and looks. only when its not up to temp or been sitting overnight. i want it to stop. i will also try to get a recording of mine

Thats the exact sound. I know its normal, but it shouldn't be normal. It's loud and embarassing. I wanna know what exactly it is.. so when people ask me over and over what is wrong with my car, I can have a definative answer for them.

It sounded like a diesel engine for a second :) Anyway, that sound seemed to be unusual. I would not call it normal if your car was not doing it when you got it.

yeah i know it sounds like a deisel. its done it since the day i got it under those specific conditions: engine is cold. plus i have 2 people now (maybe more to come) that claim they have that exact same noise under those same conditions, so its not just me. soon as it warms up it goes away. performance is unaffected by it, hell my car is quick as hell when its cold.

My sisters 96 GP with 3100 does not make that noise and it has over 100K miles. Im sure it'll start doing it one of these days, but it could be piston slap.

Robby