Pics of Tim's Turbo DOHC

RedZMonte

believe me it is. i met up with Tim last night and checked out his setup for myself. that car is CLEAN. i was impressed by the custom crossover and downpipe and turbo location....it all seemed to fit in there nicely. it seemed to be running pretty rich and it's not intercooled yet, but after some more tuning that car will FLY (as if it doesn't already). hopefully that tranny holds out for you for awhile Tim. i let Tim test drive my 5-speed CS since he's thinking of doing the manual swap. i think he liked it :P altho obviously my car is much slower than his car :lol: we went back and had a couple beers and shot the shit then called it a night.

joshua

slower once rolling, but from a stop his will roast them like mine can only dream of... His manual 3.1 really is about as fast as a stock 3.4 auto (95 and earlier). I'm not sure which would win in a race, but it'd be very close. If I was still N/A I'd have apprehension about racing him. I think he'd definitely get me off the line, but maybe once in second I'd start coming back. I was definitely impressed.

As far as a manual swap, it seems like I could just swap it and use my current ECU. If I'm lucky, it might not set a code even with no spoofing. If not, I'd have to make something that emulates the PRND switch in the tranny. The ECU should default to third gear and might set a light if there's no signal from the tranny on what gear its in. Either way, I think the hardest part would be physically doing the swap.

Tim

If you don't wire up dummy shift solonoids you will see a SES from the second you turn the engine on.

The engine will still run alright but the problem is that a manual trans will let the engine see a much lower load reading then is ever possible on an auto. Unless the ECM knows what to do it could lead to stalling and some chugging. You might get lucky in the fact that you have MAF, but its all speculation.

• 2 weeks later...
kit specs:

Turbonetics T04-E "Super 60"

2.25" X-over

2.5" downpipe

going to run ~7psi once tuned and Intercooled. it is quite a bit faster then it was and once its tuned there should be a VERY healthy gain over what we are running now.

Shane

I can't find a T04-E "Super 60" on the site.... only a T3 "Super 60"

is the T04-E "60" the same thing? (yeah.... I know... sounds kinda stupid... but I want to make sure....)

Guest TurboSedan
kit specs:

Turbonetics T04-E "Super 60"

is that turbo water cooled? i forgot to look/ask Tim when i was looking at his car. do water cooled turbos last longer? is it really important to have a turbo timer with them?

joshua

That's it. T04-E "60"

The turbo is not water cooled. A water cooled turbo will last longer, but it's more difficult to install. A turbo timer would be a good diea.

Tim

That's sweet as hell. I'd love to see dyno results and what it runs in the 1/4.

You really need to talk to GM High Performance Magazine, Turbo Magazine, Hot Rod, Car Craft, Super Chevy, and get that thing in a mag! After fine tuning and a few dyno runs of course ;)

• 1 year later...

You can either switch to the earlier ECM, which will require alot of harness changes or else http://www.gmtuners.com has came up with a chip for the 94-95 motors. Im am currently testing it in a fiero with the 95 montecarlo engine and getrag 282. Still have a few bugs to work out but it has no codes and the rev limiter was bumped up. Hopefully within the month it will be released for sale. His chips are cheap too.

I would definitely be interested in a custom chip IF it removed the speed limiter and bumped the rev limiter up a bit. The cheap part sounds very good! I really don't want any ignition or fuel tuning in a chip... I'm trying something from SplitSec for that. I do have new pics of the Monte and my S2000 along with their turbo setups on my cardomain page.

Tim

yeah it is an old thread, but when i did a yahoo seach on 3.4 DOHC that is what came up so whatever i guess. I saw that he had a need for a chip just like i used to and so i figured that i would give him a tip about it. he can do speed limiters, rev limiters, fan temp, manual or auto, change pulses per mile from speedo (if your running different size tires or if you have an older style tranny with different PPM) he can change timing tables and prolly do a few more things too. Were working on getting mine tuned for fiero applications, but for you, your chip would be simple, especially since you have the auto right now. He only charges 35 dollars plus shipping.

I can do that stuff to, but I haven't tested for NA performance tuning so I havent offered any chips for the 94-95 DOHC. You could tune for the boost with the stock chip, but im not sure what the peak of the turbo is.

I'll probably be talking with both of you the next time I'm close to my car. I would definitely like to have a chip with some moderate mods (fans, limiters, tranny, etc) but no fuel or spark mods.

Tim

Guest TurboSedan
I'll probably be talking with both of you the next time I'm close to my car. I would definitely like to have a chip with some moderate mods (fans, limiters, tranny, etc) but no fuel or spark mods.

Tim

Tim, have you thought about maybe experimenting with burning/editing your own EPROMs with PP2 and GMPCM software? your car uses a memcal doesn't it?

Tim

Tim, have you thought about maybe experimenting with burning/editing your own EPROMs with PP2 and GMPCM software? your car uses a memcal doesn't it?

Thought about it, but I really don't want much done to the stock ECU and I was never able to find much on the 94-95 3.4 DOHC PCM. I could always find stuff for the 3.1, earlier 3.4, or OBD2, but virtually nothing for a 95 3.4. I have considered a 96-97 swap since I have found much better scan and programming tools for them, but I want ignition timing retard based on a MAP sensor value- something no stock ECU can offer. I think I have a solution to that and to MAF sensor tuning, but I won't know for a while. No matter how the ECU tuning takes place, I will be running a WBO2 and bigger injectors.

Tim

Guest TurboSedan

Thought about it, but I really don't want much done to the stock ECU and I was never able to find much on the 94-95 3.4 DOHC PCM. I could always find stuff for the 3.1, earlier 3.4, or OBD2, but virtually nothing for a 95 3.4. I have considered a 96-97 swap since I have found much better scan and programming tools for them, but I want ignition timing retard based on a MAP sensor value- something no stock ECU can offer. I think I have a solution to that and to MAF sensor tuning, but I won't know for a while. No matter how the ECU tuning takes place, I will be running a WBO2 and bigger injectors.

Tim

cool. i'd really like to see your Monte once you start working on it again. i am making alot of progress on my Turbo Cutlass now that i have my Turbo GTS done for now. i think i'm going to go with an EGT instead of WBO2, but i still have quite aways to go before i can even think about tuning. i will be datalogging of course, i just got an ALDL cable but i still need to get a cheapo ebay laptop. i'm really looking forward to learning GMPCM software and burning my own EPROMs as well

btw, i'll probably be living in Laramie again next month. it'll be nice to be closer to a dyno :)

you gotta get that Monte to the dyno!!

cool. i'd really like to see your Monte once you start working on it again. i am making alot of progress on my Turbo Cutlass now that i have my Turbo GTS done for now. i think i'm going to go with an EGT instead of WBO2, but i still have quite aways to go before i can even think about tuning. i will be datalogging of course, i just got an ALDL cable but i still need to get a cheapo ebay laptop. i'm really looking forward to learning GMPCM software and burning my own EPROMs as well

btw, i'll probably be living in Laramie again next month. it'll be nice to be closer to a dyno :)

you gotta get that Monte to the dyno!!

Awesome. I really wanna see the turbo Cutlass done! Good luck! You'll definitely have to get a hold of me when you make it to Laramie. Hopefully I'll have my cars here by then. Right now I'm in Denver. My cars are both with my parents though and I'm driving a F250... I hope to finish the Monte this winter and to up the boost past 10 psi on both cars. I would like to spend quite a bit of time on the dyno, but there are some basic modifications I really want to do first.

Tim