Pics of Tim's Turbo DOHC

RedZMonte

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/redzmonte/lst?.dir=/Turbo+Monte+Carlo+Z34&.view=t

here is what we got going so far. Non intercooled 5psi. car runs just like it did before as far as the powerband goes but Turbo spools ~3400rpm where the car normally pulls, but now MUCH harder then before. It is running Very rich and Non I/C'ed so it will be ALLOT stronger when the its IC'ed and Tuned.

Shane

Very cool. What turbo are you guys using, T3? How much boost do you guys want to run when you get properly tuned and all that stuff? Looks like a great project, keep us posted

Robby

kit specs:

Turbonetics T04-E "Super 60"

2.25" X-over

2.5" downpipe

going to run ~7psi once tuned and Intercooled. it is quite a bit faster then it was and once its tuned there should be a VERY healthy gain over what we are running now.

Shane

hmmm, i have the exact same turbo sitting here brand new. someone told me it would be way too big for the 3.4. whats the verdict?

was gonna buy another and use as a pair for my camaro but if i could turbo the 3.4 with this one, i could get a s/c setup for the 'maro(mpfi 402 bbc) and make life easier on me there. how do you guys have the computer set up? aftermarket FMU?

hmmm, i have the exact same turbo sitting here brand new. someone told me it would be way too big for the 3.4. whats the verdict?

was gonna buy another and use as a pair for my camaro but if i could turbo the 3.4 with this one, i could get a s/c setup for the 'maro(mpfi 402 bbc) and make life easier on me there. how do you guys have the computer set up? aftermarket FMU?

sell me that turbo cheap~~~ 8) Cool project btw! The engine bay is almost "crowded" now isn't it? :wink:

Stock PCM, 12:1 Vortech FMU, MAF on the intake side of the turbo

it runs Very good on that turbo. Very good match for this motor. .70AR. Its running like 10:1 A/F mixture. so once its tuned down. Probibly go to a 10:1 Ratio on the FMU. I would HIGHLY recomend a Internal wastegate (save a bit of room and work). Kit wise i am not sure it i am going to make one yet. ~$3500+ is what it would sell for. I have slightly over $3000 into each of our kits.

RedZ

It's a large turbo, but perfectly sized. It boosts at 3500 rpm. The needle literally jumps from 0 to 5 psi. I have a mini-AFC on it from ZZP, but no mods with it yet.

Tim

Stock PCM, 12:1 Vortech FMU, MAF on the intake side of the turbo

it runs Very good on that turbo. Very good match for this motor. .70AR. Its running like 10:1 A/F mixture. so once its tuned down. Probibly go to a 10:1 Ratio on the FMU. I would HIGHLY recomend a Internal wastegate (save a bit of room and work). Kit wise i am not sure it i am going to make one yet. ~$3500+ is what it would sell for. I have slightly over $3000 into each of our kits.

RedZ

does that kit include your labour? j/k :wink:

Cramped- yes and no. All of the turbo components are tightly packed, but there's 1-2" around all of the piping except for the rear of the downpipe. It looks tight, but we tried to keep the turbo as far from everything else as possible.

Tim

Guest TurboSedan

i can't wait to see this thing! i'll be in Gillette in the first week of June so i'll keep an eye out for your car. btw, last time i saw your car (in Laramie) it looked like the hood was damaged and one of the headlights was bashed in?? that sux :( i told iTurbo (my twin brother that lives in Gillette) to keep an eye out for your Monte so don't be surprised if a red Shelby Lancer tries to catch a red light with you LOL. there is also a silver 1st GEN SHO that is pretty damn quick there too. i think the guy with the SHO works at Plains Tire and owns a red SHO too. later

joshua

The compression ratio is stock. Even if I built it, I HIGHLY doubt I'd ever drop below 9:1 The heads are awesome and the limiting factor will probably always be engine management and tranny strength, not the internals. I could be off, but I guess we won't know until somebody tries :)

Tim

cool, but why does big turbo = little boost (7psi), my t25 is good for at least 12 and its small. Also what got you up to 3000? that seems spendy. Where was the big expense, obvisously turbo, downpipe and crossover, why not take a tgp setup and put it in, at least turbo and ic, wouldn't it be cheaper?

little boost = experimenting i bet

who knows what thatll do to the tranny

t25 is a baby for a dohc too, and the IC would probably hit the motor

The TGP setup on the DOHC would just plain suck, way too small of a turbo.

Anyways, I hear the DOHC head gaskets will more then likely blow at 8psi, and a properly maintained motor can handle 11-12psi till shit starts breaking. Anyways, 8psi at 7000 is right about 400hp at the crank.

cool, but why does big turbo = little boost (7psi), my t25 is good for at least 12 and its small. Also what got you up to 3000? that seems spendy. Where was the big expense, obvisously turbo, downpipe and crossover, why not take a tgp setup and put it in, at least turbo and ic, wouldn't it be cheaper?

No matter what the boost, you've got to check a compressor map. From the compressor maps I had available, the T04E had the highest efficiency for the 3.4 DOHC. Big turbo = big airflow. Small turbo = small airflow. Size doesn't really affect boost capability- mine can easily boost to 30 psi! $3000 comes pretty quickly. $2250-2500 for turbo, wastegate, intercooler, piping, gauges, all hoses, all connectors, oil lines and fittings and just parts (hoses, flanges, oil lines, clamps, and gaskets were $500 by themselves). Install for me was only $500 For most people, it'd be at least double that.

Tim

30 psi, that would be something to see. Yeah i know stuff costs a lot, turbo etc, i guess i'm just a little nieve, it sounds like you spent the extra dollar to do it the right way the first time, turbocharging the 3.4 is quite an an acomplishment, i'd didn't mean to downplay that, the car looks and sounds like it is awesome

Guest TurboSedan
the car looks and sounds like it is awesome

believe me it is. i met up with Tim last night and checked out his setup for myself. that car is CLEAN. i was impressed by the custom crossover and downpipe and turbo location....it all seemed to fit in there nicely. it seemed to be running pretty rich and it's not intercooled yet, but after some more tuning that car will FLY (as if it doesn't already). hopefully that tranny holds out for you for awhile Tim. i let Tim test drive my 5-speed CS since he's thinking of doing the manual swap. i think he liked it :P altho obviously my car is much slower than his car :lol: we went back and had a couple beers and shot the shit then called it a night.

joshua