You thought your brakes were bad......

jdcutty

Guest TurboSedan

you should have seen the rear brakes i took out of my Cutlass before i did the '94+ conversion :redface: what was left of the pads dug into the rotors at least 1/8" all the way around.

hmmm, I don't see what's usually described as a "brake pad" :lol:

Drove from New Jersey to home (central PA) like that. Backing out of my inlaws driveway in NJ I heard a clunk. Ignored it. Got home and found one of the torx bolts for the caliper bracket was gone. That was the clunk.

Funny thing is, a w body stops the same with or without brake pads.

hmmm, I don't see what's usually described as a "brake pad" :lol:

Drove from New Jersey to home (central PA) like that. Backing out of my inlaws driveway in NJ I heard a clunk. Ignored it. Got home and found one of the torx bolts for the caliper bracket was gone. That was the clunk.

hmm...interesting I dont want to try, but thats cool to know. This reminds me, I have to do my brakes soon, probably do it when I garage it for the winter, whenever that will happen.

I have to take a look at mine... they are starting to squeal like an SOB...

Last time I did a break job (like 9 months ago) I had to replace the rear calipers and rotors, the calipers had seized and dug a nice groove into the rotor before warping the crap out of it...

Jamie

I had to replace both rear calipers too, I think in february, I hope they arent seized this time too. I'm thinking of doing the +94 swap, anyone know how hard it is to do?

I had to replace both rear calipers too, I think in february, I hope they arent seized this time too. I'm thinking of doing the +94 swap, anyone know how hard it is to do?

out with the old, in with the new. That easy.

And you cant tell from the pics above, but there was about a 3/16" grove in the rotor.

Guest TurboSedan

'94+ swap is sooooo easy. totally bolt on. pad changes are much easier too. only problem is getting the parking brake to work but if you have an automatic then that's probably not a big deal. do a search - lots of info on here about the '94+ rear brake upgrade.

Guest TurboSedan

i'm one of those rare forum members that never really had a problem with my 1st GEN W-body brakes (on the Cutlass that is). the original rear brake problem i mentioned above was purely my fault becuase i was lazy and let them go way too far.

anyways, i just upgraded to '95+ front brakes and have already done the '94+ rear brakes, so they should be even better now :biggrin:

my TSTE was a different story. the PMIII ABS had problems making the car almost impossible to stop....and does this look familiar?

DSC02383.JPG

'94+ rear brake upgrade FTW:

DSC02385.JPG

Guest TurboSedan

:eek:...Holy shit, is that rotor missing pieces along the outer edge!?!? Damn, how long were those on there for?

i'm not sure, i bought it like that. i don't think it was actually missing any pieces along the outer edge, probably just the way the pic makes it look.

Guest TurboSedan

sometimes i actually consider reverting back to '88-'93 rear brakes so i can have a working parking brake again. no parking brake + 5-speed = unsafe. besides, isn't the main problem with the earlier calipers the sliders themselves which can be fixed by using stainless steel sliders instead?

i'm gonna revert back to rear drum brakes on my GTS for the parking brake issue as well (i put rear discs on it from an '89 Shadow).

haha....aint that the truth...i had to drive about a half mile with no brakes one time. I royally f*cked up a rear brake job, so we had my moms car, mine in the middle, and me in my dad's car with our hazards on to go to the shop. Ahh, fun times

my brakes are worthless right now anyways...

sometimes i actually consider reverting back to '88-'93 rear brakes so i can have a working parking brake again. no parking brake + 5-speed = unsafe. besides, isn't the main problem with the earlier calipers the sliders themselves which can be fixed by using stainless steel sliders instead?

i'm gonna revert back to rear drum brakes on my GTS for the parking brake issue as well (i put rear discs on it from an '89 Shadow).

You'll see a lot of newer cars come equipped with drums in the rear in the next few years. Much more reliable, and easier to design.