How to put in an FDP chip? I need help here.

JPaganel

I bought an FDP SuperChip (from one of the guys here) and went to install it. When I pulled my stock chip I realised I have a problem. The stock chip has a key on the connector that makes it fit only one way. The FDP chip fits either way.

Which way do I put it in? I don't want it fried by incorrect installation.

This is the chip http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1856730562

One side has this extra connector, the other doesn't.

You have to putyour stock memcal into that chip. Its an adapter, not a memcal. You will see a notch in the FDP cihp that is the key for the stock chip to fit into. Then there is only 1 way you can fit the new chip in there.

hey ben when I bought my chip off of you, all I did was pull the old chip, and replace it with the one you sent me. I didnt use anything off of the old one. 3.4 DOHC chip

hey ben when I bought my chip off of you, all I did was pull the old chip, and replace it with the one you sent me. I didnt use anything off of the old one. 3.4 DOHC chip

There is your difference. 3.4L DOHC vs 3.1L MPFI.

RedZ

OK, let me see if I can explain on behalf of ben (since this topic has come up numerous times) certain FDP "chips" sold were the piggy-back/adapter type that other chip manufacturers also use (Jet, etc), that modify the stock code in the stock memcal (stock memcal goes into it). Other FDP chips are actually A memcal with the code already modified. I got the modified memcal, not the piggyback. Either one does the same thing.

Thats right. I stopped selling the adapters cause they were confusing (hence this post). There is no difference performance wise, and it has nothing to do with the engine in the car. Its just a matter of how old it is really. All chips purchased in the past several months, and all future chips are complete memcals.

I did it! It works!:rocking:

I got a reply from FFP before I saw the stuff here. Thank you. :worship:

It works exactly as Brian said.

I was actually surprised as all hell I got anything from FFP, considering I bought the chip secondhand, plus it's an older one. I got a reply the same day, with explanations. :worship: :cheers:

This is totally awesome. Half the time I can't get answers from people I paid a bunch of money to, these guys helped me for free. Now, that's customer service. I'm so impressed, I'll have to buy some of their other stuff, as soon as I can afford it.

I hate being short on cash... :puke:

Since the chip is set for slightly higher idle, it sounds really cool. I need a decent exhaust now...

I am considering buying a welder and learning how to use it. That would mean no more rust holes and my exhaust will never leak again...