Popping Sound

GrandAmSE

Ok I've only driven the car a handful of time and just look at the wheel and saw something that scared me. The only wheel with a ful set of lugs was the wheel I put on. One wheel had 5, two had 4 and one had 3! :eek: Was scared till I saw the one with three.

• 2 weeks later...

• Transverse-mounted leaf spring in rear has rubber boots which are integrated into the spring itself and entire spring is unit. When turning, and when the spring loses one of its rubber bushings, makes noise which could be perceived as a popping sound.

• Struts and a large rubber grommet (part of strut attachment hardware, as I recall) can cause popping sounds. When strut had been improperly installed, it caused popping sound.

• Ball joints, tie rod ends and related front-end parts caused popping which most told me was my rack-and-pinion. Glad it wasn't. : )

• Dogbones? I should have bought them by the dozen. With off-the-line speed that left Corvettes spinning their tires, I put some stress on the engine mount system. Not only did I replace the rear bushings twice but also the front bushings when Jeff M replaced my crossmember/engine cradle which was beyond redemption with rusted-out and missing portions.

I noticed the other day in my 92 Olds an annoying squeaking sounds accompanied

by loud popping sound right beneath my left foot while driving. So I check what I now no is the cradle mounts (donut shaped mounting point surrounded by rubber)

So I got a 15mm socket and tighten it a few times and that seem to help for a little while. It only popped when you really got on the gas. After reading through this thread I believe it's the cradle mounts? Are they hard to replace? WHere can I by the parts?

Thanks

my car is a 94 and i had cradle mount problems..

Great...something else to worry about. Anyone have a detailed inspection procedure for the cradle? What do I need to look for specifically?