Engine replace

caracer

Are there any kinks to replacing a turbo engine with a non turbo? Will the turbo manifolds and the rest of the equipment bolt on ok? Just in case I'm forced to get a non turbo motor which I'm hoping NOT to have to do.

Guest TurboSedan

Are there any kinks to replacing a turbo engine with a non turbo? Will the turbo manifolds and the rest of the equipment bolt on ok? Just in case I'm forced to get a non turbo motor which I'm hoping NOT to have to do.

i turbocharged the regular NA 3.1 'LH0' in my Cutlass Supreme with TGP parts. everything bolted right on for the most part. there are a few things you need to watch out for depending what year 3.1 engine you get; for instance a TGP plenum won't bolt onto '91+ 3.1 lower intake manifold. also, the TGP engine has slightly lower compression ratio compared to the regular NA 3.1 so i used the TGP heads. the difference is so minor though that i don't think using regular 3.1 NA heads would be a problem - the TGP LG5 engine has 8.8:1 CR compared to 8.9:1 for the LH0 engine. some people say that the TGP LG5 engine block has higher nickel content, a hardended crankshaft and stronger pistons but this has not been proven. i know for a fact that the LG5 came with a better Melling HV oil pump. the LH0 just has a regular GM part.

i turbocharged my '91 NA 3.1 MPFI LH0 engine at 227,000 miles and have not had any problems at all...i didn't even do a rebuild. it makes great power too - i'm up to about 240,000 miles now and still runs excellent :biggrin:

good luck!

Guest TurboSedan

fwiw, i would really just pull the heads off and get them resurfaced/rebuilt. that will be much less work for you and cheaper. unless you're worried something more serious is wrong with your engine. you can replace the headgaskets while the engine is in the car easy.