Finding out if radio is working

Nick1234

The radio has power going to it. The display turns on. No sound comes out of speakers. Is there a way to test the wires at the speaker to see if anything is making it that far? or if the radio is bad.....i don't know shit about electrical anything.

Use a DMM at the speaker terimals. With everything turned off, Ohm test it. This will let you know if you have an open or closed loop. If its closed, youll get an Ohm reading, if its open, you wont. Id start when that, and if that works, start measuring volts and then look at the pigtail in the back of the deck. Basically your DMM will be your best friend in testing the wires to make sure you have power going everywhere.

What type of deck is it? A lot of newer radio's can sense if a speaker is bad, or blown, and will instantly stop putting out any type of sound. Basically, it's a way for the deck to protect itself.

You can also check your speakers by taking a AA battery to it, with a piece of wire attached at both ends. When you touch the speaker leads, the speaker should pop or crackle. If it doesn't, then you need to check the connection, or wire, or replace the speaker.

I use a test light on the positive lead at the speaker...it'll light up the bulb slighty if there's power there....Chris's advice with the battery is a good one too!!! If you can't hear anything try a 9 volt battery just to be sure...I couldn't hear anything from my OEM speakers with the AA but a 9 volt caused a nice pop lol