Exhaust Manifolds...TGP

FastSE2DR

I was wondering what manifold the turbo was located on. Also, does anyone know if these manifolds fit on the later 3100? I was thinking of buying the certain manifold or pipe and a turbo, etc and having my friend build me the rest of the piping. Please let me know asap. Thanks for your help.

Tony

the turbo is located on the crossover and rear manifold, if Im not mistaken, hmmm.....they might fit, but you would run into other problems with hooking up a turbo on a 3100. You would be better off to just get the turbo 3.1L motor

Robby

What other problems would I run into? I could either run lower compression or low boost. Im not looking for high psi just somethin better that what I have for cheap. I am still considering the L67 but I like turbo better. There is a site that makes a turbo kit for the 3100 but its 3k. Too rich for my blood. Of course I would resolve other fuel systems problems and I would probably have enough cash to get my pcm custom reprogrammed to hand boost.

yeah, thats what I was going to mention, your PCM. That would have to re done some how to accept a turbo, a custom oil pan to run oil lines to the turbo, a bigger radiator, and yes you would have to run low boost. It would be, IMO, a lot of custom work. I think it would be much easier to swap a TGP and harness and everything into your car

Robby

Well I do know someone that does intercooler piping and turbo piping so that would not be a problem. He would be able to tap the oil pan and basically handle all the custom work for cheap. The cheapest I can find a complete and low mi turbo 3.1 is 1251 and that is located in CA and I live in MN. I wish I knew someone that had attempted turbocharging a 3100 with parts from a 3.1. Will the 3.1 bolt right in? Will my tranny be good or do i need to replace that as well?

okay, I would say you would need a new tranny if you plan on modding the turbo motor. The TGP 4T60 auto tranny is rated at like 280ftlbs. Your 4T60E would prolly hold the torque, but since it is know to have problems under the 3.4 DOHC wich is comparable in power to a TGP motor, I would say you need the TGP auto tranny or 3.1L manual tranny. The TGP radiator is bigger than the n/a 3.1L radiator, since the heads are under much more heat from a turbo sendin hot compressed air in, more cooling capacity is needed

Robby

yeah, a TGP radiator is the way to go, it *should* fit in your car. I dont see why it wouldnt. Hey, no problem, man, anything you wanna ask, just ask it, someone on here knows the answer

Robby

the TGP radiator isn't bigger as far as i know, its actually narrower but deeper then the regular GP so that the intercooler can fit in between the upper and lower front crossmembers. So if you're not mounting the intercooler there, you really wouldn't be getting much out of it but a large gap.

I was thinking of mounting the IC underneath the lip of my front fascia. Someone on another forum suggested that I just take the PCM out of the TGP. I was curious if that would plug right into my current harness. I know what I am doing with wiring and all that good stuff I just want to save as much time as possible. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to add them here or email me. I need all the help I can get on this one.

Guest TurboSedan

you'll need a custom crossover made up for the 3100, and no the rear exhaust manifold from a TGP 3.1 Turbo won't match up to the 3100 heads, but i think you could just keep the rear exhaust manifold and block off the downpipe opening. the TGP radiator is actually smaller (narrower) so the IC can fit beside it, but it is a much better radiator (3 core), and it's pretty thick. i have an extra TGP Intercooler if you are interested. i might have an extra TGP radiator soon too, i'll let you know. for engine wiring, i think you can use the entire TGP harness on the 3100. it wouldn't be SFI anymore, but SFI really doesn't help performance wise anyway from what i've heard. Mick on this forum has a turbocharged 3100 in his Fiero, so you might try PM'ing him for more info.

joshua

I wonder how bad it'd be to mount the rear turbo manifold to the 3100 head. It WILL bolt up, but the ports on the 3100 are D shaped while the 3.1 turbo are round, and the size of the ports are close. May just need to open up the round manifold ports just a hair

Hmm...so it will bolt up...maybe if i ported the manifold to have bigger flanges before i bolted it up? Couldn't I just take the crossover pipe off a TGP and bolt it on to my current set up even and skip the rear manifold? How much were you thinkin for that intercooler? I just looked at a TGP the other day...too bad it was not in very good condition. Doors crackled...white smoke out the tails...most likely busted head gasket or head and they wanted 4500 for it. The only positives is that it looked decent, had HUD, power moonroof, and it had 84k.

• 1 month later...

Man what you laughing at? Ive scrapped the turbo idea because it was taking me too long to get in gear. But don't worry, I've got something for ya!

Guest TurboSedan
PM me the picture or whatever you want to show me. If I end up adding a turbo I am going to get p&p intakes, and bigger throttle body.

i doubt a bigger throttle body will help since your incoming air is compressed anyway. spend money elsewhere IMO.

joshua