Want Better Seals? Try Grease

ns87

I got tired of Armor-Alling my door and trunk seals just to have them dry out in a few days. I actually ran a thin bead of grease (found it at autoparts store) and rubbed it into the seal. I then wiped away the excess. The seals are so much nicer, and the weather striping is nice and plyable! Has anyone else tried this? I highly recommend it.

I got tired of Armor-Alling my door and trunk seals just to have them dry out in a few days. I actually ran a thin bead of grease (found it at autoparts store) and rubbed it into the seal. I then wiped away the excess. The seals are so much nicer, and the weather striping is nice and plyable! Has anyone else tried this? I highly recommend it.

Please tell me you used silicone/dielectric grease!

That is the proper lub to maintain your seals. normal grease may swell and damage them.

It is not well known, but lubing the weatherstripping with silicone based grease is considered regular maintence. see any quality factory or sevice manual.

what about white lithium grease? I've got loads of that stuff

no. sorry. I do not know how much damage regular grease may do to rubber.

but i was wondering if grease or oil if used to treat rubber might mke it swell if it has shrunken is worn down a bit... before silicone grease is used.

I should dip some scrap weather stripping and post results.

Anything would be better than Armor All. That is probably the worst stuff you can put on any rubber or plastic. It dries out EVERYTHING.

Protectant my ass.

:werd:

destroyed the rubber trim on my RX-7..I use silicone based grease on the trim now...seems to work way better...

so i shouldn't use armor-all on my dash? what should i use?

Wash the interior with dish soap to get any of the residue off, then use Aerospace 303. It is by far the best thing that I have used so far in my interior. Plus it has SPF 40 in it too. It's been just about a week and a half since i cleaned my interior with it, and there is basically no dust anywhere where I used it. I used to wipe down my dash at least one a week because there would be a layer of dust on it. Best money I ever spent.

so i shouldn't use armor-all on my dash? what should i use?

Wash the interior with dish soap to get any of the residue off, then use Aerospace 303. It is by far the best thing that I have used so far in my interior. Plus it has SPF 40 in it too. It's been just about a week and a half since i cleaned my interior with it, and there is basically no dust anywhere where I used it. I used to wipe down my dash at least one a week because there would be a layer of dust on it. Best money I ever spent.

where did u buy this product?? I can't find it anywhere around here

I got mine at Crappy Tire. It wasnt with all the other car care products though, it was hanging on a rack all by itself at the end of the isle where they had the floor mats, seat covers etc... Come to think of it, I dont think I've ever seen it in the car care section, and their website doesnt show that they carry it :confused:

EDIT: Jeff, the 303 website shows Pally Performanie as a 303 products dealer in Saskatoon. Call 'em up and see if they have any in stock.

PALLY PERFORMANIE

110 60TH STREET WEST

SASKATOON SK CA S7R 1E1

(304) 244-4469

The website also shows that it is available at all Canadian Tire stores. So next time you're there, check all over the store for it. I'm sure that its there.

Yes, get Aerospace 303. I put my first application on my dash about 1.5-2 months ago, and there is still NO dust! It can be a bit pricey at $15 though, but it is money well worth it.

I'll have to look for this product as well.

I used aromorall on my verts vinyl top. What a sheen! :drool:

Do you think that damages it in the long run?

Might actually dry it out. The Aerospace 303 stuff is recommended for outdoorsy type stuff(boats, tractors, dashboards, etc... pretty much anything that can dry out/be damaged by UV sun rays). They recommend it for plastic, vinyl, leather, etc.... I'd almost be willing to try it out on my seals/weatherstripping as well. I guarantee it will work for that also.

Ken, I know you travel a lot, so you shouldn't have any problems finding it. Check out this site: http://www.wheretobuy303.com/ to find the closest place.

Also, http://www.303products.com/main.php has a ton of info on it as well.

I got mine at Crappy Tire. It wasnt with all the other car care products though, it was hanging on a rack all by itself at the end of the isle where they had the floor mats, seat covers etc... Come to think of it, I dont think I've ever seen it in the car care section, and their website doesnt show that they carry it :confused:

EDIT: Jeff, the 303 website shows Pally Performanie as a 303 products dealer in Saskatoon. Call 'em up and see if they have any in stock.

PALLY PERFORMANIE

110 60TH STREET WEST

SASKATOON SK CA S7R 1E1

(304) 244-4469

The website also shows that it is available at all Canadian Tire stores. So next time you're there, check all over the store for it. I'm sure that its there.

thanks very much Dustin