tire suggestions

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i really need to buy new tires for the GS this week.

criteria:

- stock size (225/60-16)

- all-season

- good treadwear

- preferrably less than $75/tire

so far i'm liking the Yokohama AVID Touring tires. $68 + free shipping from discounttiredirect.com. the Dunlop SP Sport A2 is another one i'm considering, but those are $73/tire and i'd have to pay shipping since they would be from tirerack.com

i just started looking around. i know Dan has the Falken Ziex 512's, but he suggested going with something else due to treadwear. what about BFGoodrich Traction T/A's? any other suggestions?

BFGs are some hard ass tires and will give you pretty good treadlife..

..I had a set on my 87 6k that were actually 3 times as wide as the stockers.. Rolled for ~120k on them, and still have almost 80% tread on them.. I pulled them from a Sunbird we owned and they were bought new on that about 20k before the car died..

GOod luck finding tires Josh! The Oldsmobubble needs some tires soon.. I was thinkin of puttin 14s on it to save money :willynilly:

lets see... i have BFG "the advantage plus" (AKA Control T/As") on the z34, while they look good, they sure don't do so hot in the wet, but so far the treadlife seems alright. i've heard that the Traction T/As are prety decent tires, but i was reading on tire rack that most people were only getting 40-50k out of them, and i drive ALOT, so i'd rather get something with more life.

i know good year asurance "tripple tread" tires are supposed to be amazing in all conditions and have a 80k lifespan, but they cost in the balpark of ~$115 a tire.

i won't get into my other favorite tires since i seem to have expensive taste :lol:

Triple treads wont last as long since there a directional tire, you cant really rotate them the way your suppose to.

Michelins are great if you have the money. But BFG's are good and Dunlop are also very good tires for the money.

they are rated to last about 80k more or less, don't see how that makes for a poor tread life.

and hell my camaro's tires are wearing just fine and i cannot rotate them at all, directional tires and front and rear specific wheels.

Guest TurboSedan

after driving my car at work tonight i decided i needed tires ASAP. the Michelins on the car now are total crap. the fronts are almost bald and one of the rear tires looks like it was driven on while flat at some point. noisy as hell.

sooo....i went with the BFG Traction T/A's from discounttiredirect.com. free shipping so the total was $316. they had a 'superior' rating for wet traction and dry traction and an 'excellent' rating for everything else on tirerack.com. 70,000 mile treadwear warranty so hopefully they last awhile.

i almost went with the Yokohama AVID Touring tires since they would have been $44 cheaper, but according to tirerack.com they weren't so great on ice. i'm going to be driving alot over the winter so i decided to just spend a little more.

anyways, i'll probably spend more money on a better tire once i get some 18s next year. for now i just needed a good stock size replacement.

thanks guys

good choice, my mom has traction t/a's on her GP GT and they are pretty damn amazing....the car doesn't spin the tires everywhere in the rain or snow anymore

Guest TurboSedan

my brother has the Kumho ECSTA 711's on his Turbo Dodges. they wear very quickly and are horrible in the winter. not bad for an inexpensive summer tire though.

I run triple treads on my cutlass with the 5 spokes in winter. they are amazing tires i think you should just spend the extra money and they will last you longer

Guest TurboSedan

dang that was fast. ordered on Sunday and got here on Wednesday. discounttiredirect.com FTW :) i should have them mounted/balanced tomarrow and then go get an alignment.