ques about struts

red93z34

I have a 93 Z34 and I need to know if my rear struts are Coil over strut or the transversly mounted leaf spring? Because I would like to replace my rear gas struts and I was looking in the Haynes manual and it had both types listed. Thanks

Dump that Haynes manual... I hate them...

On your Z, it's the transverse mono-leaf.

All W-Bodies have it except:

- 1995+ Monte Carlo / Lumina

- 1997+ Grand Prix / Regal

- RedFox340

Not really... check your rear end first.

Yes, you do have the mono-leaf, but it still HAS struts. The mono-leaf is the "spring" and the struts are bare (nothing around them). Those are easy to replace; bolt out & bolt in.

'True' coilovers have the spring around the strut like you're front McPerson struts. I'm doing my rear strut hopefully by the end of the month... I may be able to give you some pointers if you can sit it out for a bit.

- RedFox340

I guess I will dump this Haynes manual it says you need special tools and you need to remove exhaust componets.

The main concern you want to be careful of is when you're unbolting the strut. The strut should be fully extended (when lifting car with wheel off) and you should have a jack or jack stand underneath the mono-leaf so it doesn't spring out and hurt you. You'll be able to do one side at a time and watch all major components and you safety.

- RedFox340

Its going to be done before the end of the month. They are getting bad in my car. I'll probably do them done when I put new brakes in.

I wouldn't dump the haynes manual for the simple fact that for $11, they take most of their diagrams and instructions right from the GM service manual. As for the struts, they get a little tricky, but your best friends will be a 24mm socket on an impact gun, and a floor jack with a nice big round jack surface, or whatever it's called. you basically want the jack under the rear wheel knuckle to support it, so when you unbolt the strut mount, the suspension doesnt fly all the way down, and when you bolt the new strut in, just jack up the knuckle a little, and installation gets easy. One thing to be concerned with is alignment, the middle bolt hole is elongated for the ability to adjust camber, neg or positive. you'll have to estimate the right position unless you take it for a 4 wheel alignment.

Also the 2 lower bolts are splined, so after taking off the 24mm nuts, hit them straight out with a hammer.