muhahahaha Jud.... better get back to the track 108MPH trap!!!!

kuntzie

Guest TurboSedan

it might not be an issue of too much power/torque (or weak axles) if the problem is wheel hop. i'd try to fix the wheel hop problem before looking for stronger axles.

awesome times though, congrats :cheers:

it might not be an issue of too much power/torque (or weak axles) if the problem is wheel hop. i'd try to fix the wheel hop problem before looking for stronger axles.

awesome times though, congrats :cheers:

Yep, time to start investing in a bit of suspension work.

Afterwards, ever consider solid axles?

Afterwards, ever consider solid axles?

Solid axles? Can you explain that? :cool:

LOL, nope. Is it even possible, or is he just going to have to get hardened ones?

Well I asked him a few questions on TGPforums. Honestly I think the yoke is either too short meaning wrong axle yoke for the tranny or the yoke is not seating all the way into the circlip keeping it from sliding off the output shaft when the nose rises on acceleration and allowing the yoke to have it's point of highest weakness exposed. Those yokes are shattering not just splitting open. That takes a tremendous amount of torque...more than a 3.1 v6 is capable of producing IMHO. Having wheel hop is not helping either.

Well I asked him a few questions on TGPforums. Honestly I think the yoke is either too short meaning wrong axle yoke for the tranny or the yoke is not seating all the way into the circlip keeping it from sliding off the output shaft when the nose rises on acceleration and allowing the yoke to have it's point of highest weakness exposed. Those yokes are shattering not just splitting open.

Thats what I meant. Couldn't he have custom solid yokes made? I noticed that is what he is shattering as well.

I think a built motor with a 3000 stall converter would give you a run for your money :P . . no bad low end torque for tire spin . .

Why the built motor?? He has a 130K+ on the factory engine.

I meant the built motor I have....meaning I can push more timing and probably more boost if it required it...The built motor, better flowin heads, intakes, bigger cam, less rotating weight from the rods/pistons makes up for the 5spd he has

Oh I was also meaning to ask, I'm curious to see the math used to decide the GT2871R was the best for the application, I had found that a different one appeared to be better for the 3.1. I need to go back and redo mine though to see, I need a map of the turbo that would be nice...

im just going to say, that the turbo sems to be working just fine, my "mathematical" decision, there was none, just comparsion of flow ect, its all based On my opinion, because i know i wont leave the "stock" top end, my engine will always say 3.1 Intercooled turbo on it.

PS- the parts car i got, the motor is being fully tore down and getting rebuilt, including cam, forged pistons, port and polish, 62 mm TB, hopefully headers, new bearings ect ect ect, so like iv said many times vefore i dont car if this engine blows, but it sure doesnt mind 15psi on the big turbo as it is now

also- all the axles ive had in my car have been used and who knows how long they were sitting for, the one i have in there now is new, and is holding up fine so far,

im just going to say, that the turbo sems to be working just fine, my "mathematical" decision, there was none, just comparsion of flow ect, its all based On my opinion, because i know i wont leave the "stock" top end, my engine will always say 3.1 Intercooled turbo on it.

PS- the parts car i got, the motor is being fully tore down and getting rebuilt, including cam, forged pistons, port and polish, 62 mm TB, hopefully headers, new bearings ect ect ect, so like iv said many times vefore i dont car if this engine blows, but it sure doesnt mind 15psi on the big turbo as it is now

also- all the axles ive had in my car have been used and who knows how long they were sitting for, the one i have in there now is new, and is holding up fine so far,

Well, you did a damn good job of an opinion, and I definitely found out why your last half track was so good, the turbo's flow map is running at such good efficiency between 4000-5500....

Oh I forgot 1 more question, what RPM do you get full boost at?

Good luck with the engine build...i'm glad I'm not the only one that is stuck with a 3.1 build :)

Did you have any info you cared to share on your FMIC setup? I looked mine a bit more. Is your intercooler 24" from end to end or just the core? The one I have is a bit longer and it wouldn't fit....having both intlet and outlets on the same side like the DSM guys do would probably have been a better way to go as you could dump the inlet right off the turbo to the lower inlet and out the top through where the AC condesor is and hook right to the stock upper intake pipe.