I usually don't give away my secrets but.....

firefighter_0029

I always used the Nite Shades stuff on Tail Lights to tint them but I found something new while I was at Wal*Mart. This is the same exact stuff but It comes in a can twice as big and it only costs about $3. It's Krylon Transparent Color It comes in a bunch of different colors but I got black. It works exactly the same.

DSCF0003-3.jpg

that looks great....do you have any pics with the lights on, then the brakes on?

They're on in the pic!

No J/K. I'll get some tomarrow.

Looks good! Nice alternative, though I refuse to buy Krylon products after my last problem with their paint.

ok, lets here the story...... :lol:

I bought that same paint about 4 years ago, only in red, to make most of my reverse lights red tinted. I should tell you that it MIGHT fade after about half a year of being outside.

I bought that same paint about 4 years ago, only in red, to make most of my reverse lights red tinted. I should tell you that it MIGHT fade after about half a year of being outside.

you could prolly slap a coat or two of clear on to keep that from happening i would think.

you could prolly slap a coat or two of clear on to keep that from happening i would think.

I was thinking that too. I didn't have the car long enough to test that.

I saw someone in an otherwise unriced honda, excluding a fart can exhaust tip, who used such a product to paint his headlights red. Asshole like that should get his car impounded!

but the black tint I hope works for you!

So you actually got it to work eh? Unbelievable. I tried it a couple weeks back, and it wouldn't get any darker than light grey, and wouldn't go on smooth at all.

picked up two cans today. All i really want to do is my front markers, maybe third brake and last would be rear sides. I'll start with the fronts and see how it goes (i wish i would have thought to grab an extra set yesterday)

So you actually got it to work eh? Unbelievable. I tried it a couple weeks back, and it wouldn't get any darker than light grey, and wouldn't go on smooth at all.

It's just like the Nite Shades Stuff. You have to put Light Coats Until you get them as dark as you need them. This stuff is as shiny as your going to get with a Spray Can. I'll get pics in a couple days for you guys, Mine are in the Paint Booth at work getting Cleared tomarrow. I got the wife a 3 piece Spoiler and I'm going to paint it tomarrow and while the gun is loaded with clear I thought I'd hit the Tails and filler panel of mine.

Well...maybe I got a little hasty, but the shit started to run pretty bad. It's definitely a bit "clearer" than nightshades or the RC tint I usually use. Also seems a bit more on the grey side. I spose I could give it another go, but I so far am not impressed yet....

Man do I have to teach you kids everything!! I used an Ulra Fine Scuff pad first (They're Grey in Color) Then use real thin coats. It doesn't hurt to do one or two thin coats and let it tack up a bit before use put another 1 or 2 coats. Don't try to make it "Shine" until you get the color you want or else it will haze up and turn a white color. You can put 100 coats on it if you want just not all at once. Then use Regular Clear to get the shine your after. Let it sit and dry a couple nice days and then buff the regular clear off with light rubbing compound or Scratch Remover. If you don't use regular clear over it you'll be buffing the tint off and it'll probably look like shit. I'm lazy and didn't want to buff mine out so I waited till they were painting in the booth at work and the painter is going to clear mine for me when he paints the wife's spoiler.

Good Luck Kids!! :mrgreen:

Hopefully he gets them done Tomarrow so I can get them on before the long weekend.

I'm 38. And dont take me for a fucking moron. Please. :mrgreen:

The scuff pad is a good idea...I'll give you that. But I know very well what a LIGHT COAT is, and even with that, it was not spraying EVEN at all. I still say it isn't nearly as good as Nightshades, or Pactra. Krylon in general is good for shit as far as I'm concerned.

Matt, you might want to have a can of acetone or xylol or something ready if you are worried about fucking it up. It'll clean it off just fine.

Matt, you might want to have a can of acetone or xylol or something ready if you are worried about fucking it up. It'll clean it off just fine.

Im not so much worried about screwing up as much as being too lazy to clean them off if i dislike! :lol:

I wasn't able to find any of this stuff at walmart today...have to check canadian tire tomrrow.

If your worried about messing up or not liking it, I'm willing to bet 99% rubbing alcohol will remove it. I used to use that stuff to strip paint of my model cars when I buggered them up. If you use a solvent like varsol it will come off real good, but it could ruin the surface of the light at the same time.

Jamie

If you see a Silver GP around town with darkened tails...IT"S NOT ME!! :lol:

Never thought to try that stuff. I though of the R/C car tint, but wasn't sure how it would handle the elements.

If you see a Silver GP around town with darkened tails...IT"S NOT ME!! :lol:

Never thought to try that stuff. I though of the R/C car tint, but wasn't sure how it would handle the elements.

It actually holds up really well. Clear coat makes it even tougher.