Reverse light lenses

peeeot

The reverse light lenses on my 91 cutlass supreme have a dull yellowish tint to them. I've noticed this problem is widespread among 89-91s but not the later models. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the lenses to make them look clean and clear again?

In all honesty, I'd personally just swap on the newer tail lights/trunk applique from a '92+ car and call it a day. the earlier ones are kind cheap and nasty looking imho.

hmmm, sounds like I need to take a trip to the parts store to peruse their car care chemicals. I agree with you, Gutless Supreme, the later rear end looks nicer, but I've only ever seen one early car with clean shiny reverse lights whereas all the later ones look like new.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know what I do and how it goes.

Handbuffing with 3M Fill & Glaze works.

In all honesty, I'd personally just swap on the newer tail lights/trunk applique from a '92+ car and call it a day. the earlier ones are kind cheap and nasty looking imho.

That wouldn't work on a 2dr due to the placement of the license plate. Not sure he's got a 2dr, but he mentioned 89 and that year was 2dr only.

Well, you still could use the 92+ tailights, but you'll have to cut the center section out.

mehhrear3.jpg

actually that car has '88-91 reverse lights still on it, only with a black border. You could cut the '92+ center piece though but then you'd have to fabricate the lights for the license plate lighting.

On my old '90 before I made them red (see white car in that photo) I used polishing compound to get the haze off the lights and it worked great.