90 TGP factory stereo swap

greenmachine

My 90 TGP has a factory am/fm casette w/steering wheel controls. Can I swap in a later model GM cd player w/ steering wheel controls? What, if anything needs changed?

The latest you can install is a 1990-1993 CD Player, which you'll be pretty hard pressed to find one that still works. The newer style of cd player (lighter grey faceplate, 7band eq, etc..) will not interface with the steering wheel controls in your TGP and it also will not mount properly in to the TGP's dash.

you could build an interface to match the resistor values of the later head units. i have the diagrams of the values if you wanted to give it a shot.

as an aside, i think CrazyK was working on just that problem... you might shoot him a pm

My 90 TGP has a factory am/fm casette w/steering wheel controls. Can I swap in a later model GM cd player w/ steering wheel controls? What, if anything needs changed?

Like said, the newer (mid-late '90s "Theftlock") radio uses different signals for the SWC. It would be pretty neat if an interface could be made.

As for mounting the radio, you'd have to cut off the integral side brackets on the newer one. Also, the mounting studs from the old radio would need to be attached to the new radio. A few holes would need to be made in the newer radio's case to accept the studs. Before I gave up on my '89 GP, I was planning on installing one of those Pontiac 7-band EQ units (I didn't have SWC however).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. Too much hassle. I'll just put in an aftermarket cd and forget the swc.

If you go aftermarket you can always buy an interface that will allow use of the SWC with the aftermarket deck....DiscoStudd would know what you need (among others on this site)....A search may generate something, but the damn thing isn't working for me....

I have the info, but it is a problem I have not solved.

I think that the radio diagrams as I read them use the same values, but may vary the functions model to model. however the one SWRC I haven;t researched is the SWRC used in the TGP. give me what you've got on that one Dan!