Cleaning Aluminum Wheels

cwsigmund

There is some gunk stuck on 2 of my wheels that looks almost like glue. It's like a dried gummy gunk, so my question is will Goo Gone or something similar hurt the aluminum wheels? I wouldn't think so, but I'd rather ask and look ignorant than screw up my wheels...I kinda like the stock Lummy wheels. Thanks. :mrgreen:

I don't think it should, you could also try bug and tar remover.

Great idea. Never thought of that. I wanna get the gunk off and then polish them up.

On an kinda semi-related question, has anyone used a product (of which there are several) to restore faded bumpers to a shiny look again. I'm pretty sure Mothers makes one, as well as others, but I'd like opnions from ya'all more experienced peeps before I slap done the cash.

Bug and tar remover, Goo Gone, and acetone are all the same thing pretty much. Acetone is the cheapest, and should take care of it fine.

If you are gonna polish them dont even waste your time with the gummy shit. You need to strip the clearcoat off the rims before you can polish them anyway.

On an kinda semi-related question, has anyone used a product (of which there are several) to restore faded bumpers to a shiny look again. I'm pretty sure Mothers makes one, as well as others, but I'd like opnions from ya'all more experienced peeps before I slap done the cash.

Rubbing compound with a wool pad and a buffer will remove a thin layer of clearcoat, then use some polish compound then wax/glaze or whatever you want. If your clearcoat is peeling then you are fucked and need to repaint.

I kinda got the impression he was talking about the black rubber bumper trim, and was refering to that mother's back to black stuff. I never tried it, but back when I had cars with that trim I just used tire shine on it.

i used the meguiars equivalent to mothers Back to Black, and i'd definitly recommend it!

but yeah goo gone or bug/tar remover on the wheels, and then try some mothers aluminum polish to really shine em up!