Started glassing my enclosure today UPDATE: Finished bottom pg 2

slick

First and foremost, my picture quality is not good. My camera dates 1999. Now, onto my topic

So yeah, for about 2-3 weeks now, I had my enclosure sitting in the basement, waiting for a nice day that I have nothing to do. I had already mounted my subwoofer ring, so all it was ready for was to be fabric'd and glassed.

Apr1203.jpg

Apr1202.jpg

Apr1201.jpg

So, I had an extra fleece like towel laying around, that I knew would would perfect, so I wrapped her up, stapled her down, and went to town. This is how she sits for the next couple of days.

Apr2011.jpg

Apr2010.jpg

Apr2009.jpg

Apr2008.jpg

Apr2007.jpg

Apr2012.jpg

Apr2013.jpg

Apr2014.jpg

Comments and suggestions, I'm all open.

didn't it take alot of resin to get the fleece soaked?? i tried it with fleece i got and it took so much resin t get it soaked good and then sometimes it didn't even soak in

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I updated this. At the time I started it, exams were a week away. Then, I started this new job the week after exams, so I have been busy since. But, here's a list of stuff I have done since then, in order:

1: Glassed the inside of the box where the fleece was, and where it met the box. Some areas got up to 5 layers of matting, some only got 3, which should be more than sufficient(it's rock hard too).

2: Trimmed away the excess fleece at the top of the box, so that the fleece stopped right where the top of the box started(at the top edge).

3: Roughed up the fleece to start laying fiberglass jelly filler.

4: Layed down my first layer of filler, and sanded.

5: Layed down my second layer of filler, and sanded. At this point, i think there may only be one or two more layers of filler to go on, along with the appropriate sanding.

I have decided to carpet the box, mainly because this is my first larger fiberglass project, and it isn't perfect. I should have stretched the fabric a bit tighter, because the resin mix is so heavy that it caused it to sag a little bit. It will not be noticable with speaker box carpet however. I was also unsure on how to wrap the fabric on the top of the box. I mean, I had a really good idea on how to do it, but I wish i could have found more examples, as it would have better helped me.

I also need to smooth up the transition from the fleece to the wood some. That won't take too long, as it was a fairly smooth transition already. I just basically don't want any bumps being visible under the carpet.

I'm going to try to update with some pictures tonight after I get out of work.

Well, I hate Photobucket and image resizing, but here they are anyways:

you can set how big the pics are in your profiles or settings.......FYI.

Well, I hate Photobucket and image resizing, but here they are anyways:

you can set how big the pics are in your profiles or settings.......FYI.

In my photobucket settings? I'll take a look right quick.

Looks really nice!

Personally I would have just made a regular square box.. cause that would only take me a couple hours at most... I can only imagine slopping on fibreglass, sanding, fiberglass, sanding... that must have took forever!

As of right now, I have probably about 15 hours of labor put into it. There is also another 10 hours of drying time put into it also.

I have probably another 7 hours of labor to go, and another 5 hours of drying time to go.

BTW, I finally joined a Legend message board.

Cool...but don't stop coming here dude!!

BTW - which board did you join??

I joined at http://www.acura-legend.com. Seems alright. And, I don't plan on stop coming here. I'm one of the more knowledgable persons on here.

Anyways, the box is ready to be carpeted! I got some pictures, but I'm really lazy right now. Pictures tomorrow evening sometime.

Yep, so here are pictures as promised. BTW, I have the bottom of the box at my place in Toledo. It is already pre-drilled and cut, so all I have to do is drill in the screws and cover the box. Then, It is completely done.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg