chasing a bad ground

R Dubya

MY TGPs stereo is hissing and buzzing while the car runs. When I sit there with the engine off it does not. It is a factory stereo and I would like to find whats going on. wheres the best place to start chasing a ground for this thing? the tape deck does not hiss only the radio. Any ideas?

May not be a bad ground, but a 12volt line thats connected to the radio thats picking up engine noise. I would start by tracing back your 12v constant and 12v switched lines, and see how the wires look clear back into the interior harness.

so you think a good first step is changing out the alternator? I could do it in about 15 minutes and have a spare, I didn't really think that would cause this but I will say I forgot to mention that when I first started it after the rebuild the ground wire was touching the upper plenum, :redface:, and it shorted the wire to the starter and burnt through. So I suppose that would have been a good place to start. :lol:

What about any other ideas now that's out in the open?

dont forget you got a factory amp in your car it located above the gloveboxliner. i had the same problem , seemd like a ground issue to me

so you think a good first step is changing out the alternator? I could do it in about 15 minutes and have a spare, I didn't really think that would cause this but I will say I forgot to mention that when I first started it after the rebuild the ground wire was touching the upper plenum, :redface:, and it shorted the wire to the starter and burnt through. So I suppose that would have been a good place to start. :lol:

that ground wire you speak of may just be the factory charge wire that runs to the starter. it has a fusible link and they need to be replaced, you just cut them off(gotta get under the car) take them to NAPA and they can sell you new ones.

dont forget you got a factory amp in your car it located above the gloveboxliner. i had the same problem , seemd like a ground issue to me

Well that's actually the receiver for the stereo, and I don't have a replacement for it as of yet but I do have a working pioneer unit 1.5 DIN that I could test to see if it works without a buzz. I am a little annoyed by this and thinking I may just replace the unit, and I'd like to get a nice HU for it that isn't 1.5 DIN, but it's hard to make them flush and make it look good. I don't want it sticking out 3 inches off the radio bezel you know?? [br]Posted on: March 31, 2006, 07:36:00 PM_________________________________________________

that ground wire you speak of may just be the factory charge wire that runs to the starter. it has a fusible link and they need to be replaced, you just cut them off(gotta get under the car) take them to NAPA and they can sell you new ones.

I already replaced it, but you would know that cause the car is up and running, and damn good I might add. :thumb: Just need to work out a few bugs and see where that gets me in a couple of weeks. Although I don't know if we're talking about the same things. Are you saying there is a connection on that wire somewhere, as I just took some of the same guage wire, put on a heat shrink connector and shrink wrapping and connected it to the starter, that was almost 2 years ago. Is there something else that I might have damaged that could be causing this?

well if you want to do the grounds too then that will help a ton. but you replaced the entire fusible link wires with fresh fusible links right? sounds like you got the adhesive lined shrink down good and crimped well, but did you cut off all the old back to the copper?

well if you want to do the grounds too then that will help a ton. but you replaced the entire fusible link wires with fresh fusible links right? sounds like you got the adhesive lined shrink down good and crimped well, but did you cut off all the old back to the copper?

yeah I did that properly. I cut it back several inches and added a link to the starter with fresh cable and a new terminal for the starter.