Who has done a Gen2--> 3x00 swap that passes TX emissions?

Calvin

Curious to see if anyone has passed emissions running their 3x00 in a 88-93 OBDI. TX does not seem to be too strict as long as it passes the rollers and everything looks like it "should" be there. Just wondered how close existing ECM gets to passing emissions. A story or a link to your build would be good too. I really don't want to put another 2.8 in this.

Thanks

Kurt

well your engine passes easily with the ECM it came with. I am saying if I keep the OBD I system for the 2.8, but use appropriately sized injectors and fuel pressure to keep things proportional, how close will I come to passing making no other changes. I wondered if the testers would take one look and say HELL NO, or if the car just wouldn't pass on the numbers. It seems like 3.1 for 3100, the 3100 has better VE almost everywhere, so when running open loop the 3.1 ECM would be fueling 3100 a little leaner, due to same fuel but more air for a given set of conditions. I know that leaner can equal hotter can equal higher NOX, so I was curious who had done the swap before.

In fact, I will open this up to all emissions states, post your results with the swap here if you care to share.

Thanks again!

Kurt

Well the problem is that I am up in Michigan for school, but when I bring the car back down, it needs to be able to pass everything in Harris County (GRRR!)....Right on the border between Katy and Houston, reppin' the west side I guess you could say.

Hey, PM me your email addy - I've got a friend in TX that'd done a lot of that kinda stuff, I could toss him your email addy and he should be able to let ya know what all he ran into.

--Dave.

Curious to see if anyone has passed emissions running their 3x00 in a 88-93 OBDI. TX does not seem to be too strict as long as it passes the rollers and everything looks like it "should" be there. Just wondered how close existing ECM gets to passing emissions. A story or a link to your build would be good too. I really don't want to put another 2.8 in this.

Thanks

Kurt

There is no difference as long as you have all the parts on and they work. Texas is easy to pass. I pased with a 287*duration cam. :biggrin:

I have the 3400 top end with a 3500 UIM with a 72mm TB and I passed eaisly in FEB. Don't sweat it. :wink:

Jud