1st Gen Grand Prix Model Designation?

timdjohn

I know. The main page makes several references to the GT coupe though.

And congratulations on actually finding a real GT. I've seen one in my entire life.

OKAY...I've seen ONE actual "GT" in my entire life that was a PRE-97 Grand Prix. haha....I think the one that I saw was an '89. It had the original bodystyle (from 1988) with the ground effects and the headlight housings w/foglights like the TGP's. It has the rear buckets and DIC...Heads-Up...LOADED! Now, since my 1992 Grand Prix SE (w/B4U) is acting up, and that I KNOW how rare the ORIGINAL "GT's" are....I'm wishing I would've BOUGHT that one! DAMMIT!

My question is.....When the GT package was ordered on a PRE-1995 GP...was it REALLY a GP SE with an option package name "GT PACKAGE" or ARE there ACTUALLY Grand Prix's out there that are between the years of 1990 and 1994 (WHATEVER bodystyle!) that READ 'GRAND PRIX GT' on the doors??

IF SO...I WANT ONE!!

SOmebody please inform me on this.....

thanks!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fastbird232

• White93z34

• timdjohn

• Euro

OKAY...How about THIS one? I can't tell if it says SE or GT on the door? It has the DIC...and has the Dual Twin Cam, but it DOESN'T have the HOOD LOUVERS!

It's NOT a GTP. So...is THIS a LOADED SE? Or "GP GT":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Grand-Prix-1992-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Coupe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6422QQitemZ4620628471QQrdZ1

DID THEY MAKE THIS BODYSTYLE IN A "GT!?" Somebody PLEASE tell me...the search won't end until I find out for sure! hahah

Then, to make things MORE confusing...there's the OTHER bodystyle for the years of 91-94....could you get THAT style in a "GT"?...

Seroiusly, If ANYone knows of a CLEAN, low miles LOADED B4U GP (1991-1993 that doesN'T have the TWIN CAM! And DOES have EVERY other option...PLEASE LET ME KNOW B/C I'D PAY WHATEVER to have that!" ya know?

lol

OKAY...How about THIS one? I can't tell if it says SE or GT on the door? It has the DIC...and has the Dual Twin Cam, but it DOESN'T have the HOOD LOUVERS!

It's NOT a GTP. So...is THIS a LOADED SE? Or "GP GT":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Grand-Prix-1992-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Coupe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6422QQitemZ4620628471QQrdZ1

DID THEY MAKE THIS BODYSTYLE IN A "GT!?" Somebody PLEASE tell me...the search won't end until I find out for sure! hahah

Then, to make things MORE confusing...there's the OTHER bodystyle for the years of 91-94....could you get THAT style in a "GT"?...

Seroiusly, If ANYone knows of a CLEAN, low miles LOADED B4U GP (1991-1993 that doesN'T have the TWIN CAM! And DOES have EVERY other option...PLEASE LET ME KNOW B/C I'D PAY WHATEVER to have that!" ya know?

lol

You won't find that, because the Twin Dual Cam brought options to the plate, such as better suspension and bigger tires. I could be wrong though.

I know. The main page makes several references to the GT coupe though.

And congratulations on actually finding a real GT. I've seen one in my entire life.

OKAY...I've seen ONE actual "GT" in my entire life that was a PRE-97 Grand Prix. haha....I think the one that I saw was an '89. It had the original bodystyle (from 1988) with the ground effects and the headlight housings w/foglights like the TGP's. It has the rear buckets and DIC...Heads-Up...LOADED! Now, since my 1992 Grand Prix SE (w/B4U) is acting up, and that I KNOW how rare the ORIGINAL "GT's" are....I'm wishing I would've BOUGHT that one! DAMMIT!

My question is.....When the GT package was ordered on a PRE-1995 GP...was it REALLY a GP SE with an option package name "GT PACKAGE" or ARE there ACTUALLY Grand Prix's out there that are between the years of 1990 and 1994 (WHATEVER bodystyle!) that READ 'GRAND PRIX GT' on the doors??

IF SO...I WANT ONE!!

SOmebody please inform me on this.....

thanks!

Didn't I answer this in the post directly above yours? I guess I don't get what you're asking...

Yes, the GTs Pontiac told me about DID have "GT" on the side. But on the same hand, GTPs really WERE SE models with a GTP package.

Um... the cars are called "Special Editions." They have "Special Edition" written on them.

We assume SE stands for Special Edition, and therefore LE means Limited Edition, yet there was nothing special nor limited about either. They're just trim levels.

This is a Grand Prix GTP Special Edition. Note the lettering on the driver's door (the big GTP on the back isn't stock). It says Grand Prix Special Edition.

grandprixfinal2.jpg

I couldn't dig up any pictures of a Grand Prix SE Special Edition, but they're much more common than the GTP Special Editions. In fact, I see one every day on campus when I walk to class. I'll snap a picture next time I see it.

mine said that at one time.....but note, i have polished 5-spokes and not the common white ones!

Didn't I answer this in the post directly above yours? I guess I don't get what you're asking...

Yes, the GTs Pontiac told me about DID have "GT" on the side. But on the same hand, GTPs really WERE SE models with a GTP package.

Yeah you did buddy.....THANKS!! & Sorry dude, didn't even NOTICE that post (I was looking at it @ work brp & somehow missed that.

So, BASICALLY, the "GT's" in THOSE years are MORE rare, than the TURBO GP's!!??? (since at least about 4000+ TGP's were produced. Either way....BOTH are rare. I 'SEE' the Turbo's though....NEVER SEE GT's! SOOOOOO RARE.

And what about the the thing you said that the GTP's are really "SE's" with the GTP package....can't be (ANOTHER RARE car......)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Grand-Prix-GTP-NO-RESERVE-GTP-MOON-LEATHER-ONE-OWNER-50K-CERT-MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6422QQitemZ4621172551QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

(the PRE-94 GTP's are ALSO reeeeal rare, don't see many of them at all)

Now...only thing that's weird, is the guy above posted the 'additions & differences' for EACH year like 1991:, 1992: 1993: and 1994:......THAT never MENTIONED about the PRE-'91's that WERE GT's (2.8's!) haha....Like the one I saw.

Last thing.

I UNDERSTAND now that you COULDN'T get a "GT" (WITH the B4U kit) WithOUT the DUAL TWIN CAM.....they automatically had the 3.4. It's just weird you could get an SE with the 3.4. GT, OR the GTP with the 3.4.....all in the years of 91, 92 and 93....CRAZY.

OH...one MORE thing......Those Special Edition SE's (Nobody can ASSUME that "SE" means Special Edition. It's simply a MODEL that GP's came in, just like the "GTP".) So....I just looked at Special Edition with the 3100 the other day, this morning I saw the SAME (white with white wheels, special edtion) but it had the 3.4 and was a GTP! So GM did offer the Special Editions (in '95 and '96) in an SE and GTP.

I want to know if that TEAL one above I posted is a "GT".....lol. SOOOO RARE. whoever posted that BLACK "GT"........>DAMMIT! I want it! lol.....I know it doesN'T have the hood louvers, but it's 'NEAT' since ya NEVER see them! (at least I don't!) :o

And what about the the thing you said that the GTP's are really "SE's" with the GTP package....can't be

Yeah, GTPs deep down were SEs, but that's getting pretty technical in that the GTP was an option package, not a trim level. In terms of purely trim levels, there was only the SE. But for all intents and purposes, SEs and GTPs are different cars.

And what about the the thing you said that the GTP's are really "SE's" with the GTP package....can't be

Yeah, GTPs deep down were SEs, but that's getting pretty technical in that the GTP was an option package, not a trim level. In terms of purely trim levels, there was only the SE. But for all intents and purposes, SEs and GTPs are different cars.

Well for 1992 looking in my Factory catalog it shows the GT was basicly a car with most options except B4U Aero Pack, and had the 5 blade 16x6.5 wheels STD, with the 3.1 L engine. it did have the rear buckets seats as std and ABS as Std.

You culd only get the 3.4L engine if you upgraded to the B4U Aero Pack, and that gave you the cross lace 16X8 rims as well. option of 5 speed Manuel or the 3 Speed Auto trans. Radio Controls on the steering wheel also std, And only came with the Metrix Cloth Interior. I shows Leather seattingis not available for the GT at all. Only the GTP and the sedan STE could have Leather. this seams to be the what sets them apart then if you have a GT with all the goodies and B4U etc etc. it can be the same except badging and leather seating. So I am guessing the Special seats that have all the inflatable settings.

Which in a way makes sense, what does GTP stand for? GT performance? Grand Tour Performace.

again this would be for 92 only as that is the catalog i only have.

GTP was named after a prototype series in some road racing organization. I forget the specifics on the series...

Odd that not many people on here have even seen these GTs, let alone own one.

GTP was named after a prototype series in some road racing organization. I forget the specifics on the series...

awww...and I thought it was because the letter P was one letter after O...GTO...GTP... 8)

Odd that not many people on here have even seen these GTs, let alone own one.

Yeap I think you are right. i did a bit of digging and found GTP stands for Grand Touring Prototype

they were roads racing from 1981 to 1993 in North America. and I guess it was for manufactures to show off their new engine "Prototypes" so what was so "Grand Touring Prototype" about the GTP Grand Prix? I guess the 24 valve DOHC 3.4 L engine, I guess that is why it is STD on the GTP. ok makes sense now I guess, but the current Grand Prix GTP's have nothing special about them as even the supercharged engine was on the Bonneville first. oh well they are just names.

I am re badging my SE to a GT as that ishow I am out fitting it with Donor options from the junks yard. Need to find those front buckets In gray cloth now. I have no desire for the leather. And if I was to swap out my 3.1L engine it would be for the L67 not the 3.4 for all that bother. I just really want a 5 speed as I just never have felt the front drive auto transaxles are very durable. not like the old Turbo 400's or rear wheel drive fame.

After doing some digging on GTP origins. I did find some pics of the cars. Below are the pontiac cars I found. Looks nothing like the GP GTP, and plus looks like Pontiac used the firebired as the base car, wonder why they didnt have a GTP Firebird then?

9055L.jpg

9055AL.jpg

8879L.jpg

8855AL.jpg

8840AL.jpg

8833BGTP.jpg

8809L.jpg

Looks nothing like the GP GTP

Sure it does. See the louvers on the hood, in the approximate design and location of the GTP louvers?

And the Xlace wheels. :wink:

Yup. Glad you found those pictures, I'd never seen them before. You can see the stylings Pontiac tried to carry over onto the Grand Prix (including the badge design).

So, instead of really going all out on the Grand Prix by beefing up the 3.4, or tuning the suspension further, or any of that, what did Pontiac do to them to relate them to the name of a supercar racing series?

1) hood louvers like the race cars

2) crosslace rims like the race cars

3) a badge in the same design as a sticker on the car

Bleh.

Well, it could be worse. I mean, there are guys on this board with base model 2.8s that would be happy to take my GTP off my hands...

So, instead of really going all out on the Grand Prix by beefing up the 3.4, or tuning the suspension further, or any of that, what did Pontiac do to them to relate them to the name of a supercar racing series?

1) hood louvers like the race cars

2) crosslace rims like the race cars

3) a badge in the same design as a sticker on the car

Bleh.

Well, it could be worse. I mean, there are guys on this board with base model 2.8s that would be happy to take my GTP off my hands...

Except if you look carefully at the cars those Crosslace wheels are real BBS. Our are not I dont think, are they? Damn I remember in the 80's wanting a set of BBS for my Rx-7 but BBS rims then would have cost me as much as the damn Mozda :shock:

• 1 month later...

i have yet to see a 2 door GT

I saw one for the first time this evening, at a local lot....a red '91 2dr GT....completely loaded....I might be back down that way again this week and if I am I will bring my camera

Heck yeah, bring the camera! I think one person threw up a picture of one a while back, but that's the only other one I've ever seen.

The picture of the black GT I posted is still in this topic on page 3.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/mfewtrail/forsaleGPGT91side.jpg

I saw another 91-93 GT in town not long ago, I keep my old digicam in the car most of the time now so I'll take some pictures if I see it around again.

• 3 months later...

I saw one for the first time this evening, at a local lot....a red '91 2dr GT....completely loaded....I might be back down that way again this week and if I am I will bring my camera

Hey bro...when you say "COMPLETELY loaded"...do you mean it DID have the REAR BUCKETS!??? (AQ9 interior package!)

Hey bro...when you say "COMPLETELY loaded"...do you mean it DID have the REAR BUCKETS!??? (AQ9 interior package!)

Every one of them that I've seen has quad buckets in leather, DIC, HUD, etc....they're basically GTP's w/ 3.1 MPFI engines instead of the 3.4 DOHC.

when i got my gp, i thought all sped's were 3.4's. now come to find that 3.4 speds are rare. and NO SE does not mean special edition and LE cant possibly mean limited edition.

i had a pic of my spid sticker somewhere, but i cant find it, so ill look for B4S tonight. pg.5 includes my correspondance with gm

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,32482.60.html

here's some pics of the special editions stickering that was on my car when i first got it. i took pics so i would kinda know where to put the stickers back on if i chose to. as you can see 24-valve stickers, 3 sped stickers, and no gtp stickers.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pwmin/badges/

edit: yes, it is B4S/GTP