1st Gen Grand Prix Model Designation?

timdjohn

Ok just been wondering, what was the main differance in the Grand Prix SE, GTP, etc?

As I have been shopping the junk yards for parts I have come across many SE with GTP stuff on them such as the aero body kits and even the rear bucket seats, along with the 3.4L engine. So it almost looks like you could equip your SE with the same options as the GTP. I ended up buying a parts car SE with loads of options on it that I plan to transfer over to my Running SE.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fastbird232

• White93z34

• timdjohn

• Euro

The early '90s coupes didn't have much distinction between GTP and SE, other than the GTPs had hood louvres. Starting in '94, GTP meant 3.4L and SE meant 3100.

But yeah, early on there's not much difference. Either one could get you the DOHC, but you couldn't get the 3100 in a GTP.

I know. The main page makes several references to the GT coupe though.

And congratulations on actually finding a real GT. I've seen one in my entire life.

Guest TurboSedan

i seen a white Special Edition with B4U, DOHC badges and hood louvers yesterday. definately NOT a GTP. as far as DOHC GP coupes go i thought only the GTP got the hood louvers?

i seen a white Special Edition with B4U, DOHC badges and hood louvers yesterday. definately NOT a GTP.

Yup, those were big in '96 I think. They're common, in any case. The Special Editions were gussied up SEs/GTPs with color-matched rims.

as far as DOHC GP coupes go i thought only the GTP got the hood louvers?

Nope, the GTs had louvers as well.

Search for the "Little Known Facts About the Grand Prix" thread. Ross had a field day in there talking about the trim combinations, and the infamous "I've seen a Special Edition with the 3.4 and NO hood louvers" debate.

Guest TurboSedan
i seen a white Special Edition with B4U, DOHC badges and hood louvers yesterday. definately NOT a GTP.

Yup, those were big in '96 I think. They're common, in any case. The Special Editions were gussied up SEs/GTPs with color-matched rims.

yeah, this car had white 5-spokes as well.

Search for the "Little Known Facts About the Grand Prix" thread. Ross had a field day in there talking about the trim combinations, and the infamous "I've seen a Special Edition with the 3.4 and NO hood louvers" debate.

Oops. All this talk about coupes and sedans...

The GTPs and the TGPs were the only coupes that got louvers. No SEs got them, as at one point that was pretty much the only differentiation from the GTP (they could have all the same options, even the 3.4 until '94).

Guest TurboSedan
The GTPs and the TGPs were the only coupes that got louvers. No SEs got them, as at one point that was pretty much the only differentiation from the GTP (they could have all the same options, even the 3.4 until '94).

that's strange, because this Special Edition i seen yesterday definately had hood louvers. some lady was driving it; i kinda doubt she had a GTP hood swapped onto it but anything is possible.

Oh, the SEs and Special Editions are different things. The Special Edition was an extra package, so you could have Grand Prix SE Special Editions and Grand Prix GTP Special Editions.

i have a hard time believeing that, i mean what would SE stand for otherwise i don't know too many people that own a Grand Prix Special Edition Special Edition, i could be wrong though, i've seen plenty of SE (special Edition???) grand prix coupes with the 3.4, and the louvered hood myself.

i'm intrested to see where you got this information, then again i could be totally wrong.

Um... the cars are called "Special Editions." They have "Special Edition" written on them.

We assume SE stands for Special Edition, and therefore LE means Limited Edition, yet there was nothing special nor limited about either. They're just trim levels.

This is a Grand Prix GTP Special Edition. Note the lettering on the driver's door (the big GTP on the back isn't stock). It says Grand Prix Special Edition.

grandprixfinal2.jpg

I couldn't dig up any pictures of a Grand Prix SE Special Edition, but they're much more common than the GTP Special Editions. In fact, I see one every day on campus when I walk to class. I'll snap a picture next time I see it.

You know, this just gets me thinking about how oddly w-bodies are distributed across the country. I mean, I see one of these SE Special Editions every day, but Chris questions whether or not they even exist. I remember Jeremy saying how 3100-equipped second-gen SE sedans are rare, yet there are so many around here that it's the 3800 sedans that are truly scarce.

Goddammed machines. I'll get you a picture of the Loch Ness SE, even if I have to drive around all night to find it.

Of course, he probably went home for Spring Break....

i see alot of B4U 94-96 grand prix' i really don't take notice of the door badgeing, but i have seen "Special Edition" written on the side of alot of them, and the 3.4 / Louvered hood "Special Edition" ones are more scarce.

i see alot of 3100 BASE as all get out 97-03 SEs

i have a hard time believeing that, i mean what would SE stand for otherwise i don't know too many people that own a Grand Prix Special Edition Special Edition

i see alot of B4U 94-96 grand prix'... i have seen "Special Edition" written on the side of alot of them, and the 3.4 / Louvered hood "Special Edition" ones are more scarce.

You don't believe there are SE Special Editions, but you've seen them before? I don't get it.

Guest TurboSedan

grandprixfinal2.jpg

that's exactly like the car i seen yesterday. but what makes it a "GTP"? i saw no GTP badging anywhere on the car....maybe i missed it.

Guest TurboSedan

or should i say came with GTP badging...like as in rolled out of the factory with them....

if not then it's not a GTP. it's a Special Edition like it says.