1st Gen Grand Prix Model Designation?

timdjohn

You don't believe there are SE Special Editions, but you've seen them before? I don't get it.

i just figgured pontiac was being all fancy with a sticker spelling put special edition rather then the traditonal SE badgeing on the door.

and honestly i'm going to have to see some RPO sheets before i'm 100% convinced. i've NEVER seen a GTP with Special Edition Stickers on the doors.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fastbird232

• White93z34

• timdjohn

• Euro

Guest TurboSedan
Then what are the SEs?

Special Edition was an option package, not a trim level.

SE = SE

GTP = GTP

Special Edition = Special Edition

that's how i see it anyway.

1994 -- Pontiac simplified the GP line-up for '94. There were just the coupe and sedan. If the 3.4 V-6 was ordered on the sedan, it was called the GT. In the coupe,it was called the GTP. Otherwise,there was just the SE with the 3.1 V-6. A Special Edition Coupe Package made the SE coupe just like the GTP coupe but with the 3.1 V-6. The aero cladding on the GTP and Special Edition SE coupes were cleaned up slightly and the dashboards were redesigned incorporating dual air-bags.

http://www.classicalpontiac.com/gp/index.html

Note it says "Special Edition SE coupes," not just "Special Edition coupes."

except i know and have verified this with the VIN number that i have seen a few of the "Special Edition" coupes with the 3.4, and that states they were only able to be had with a 3.1. that said, how crediable is this source?

Eh, about as credible as any other internet source, which is to say, "I dunno." I noticed that it didn't mention a 3.4, too, but since it seemed to prove my point, I didn't think too hard about it...

Every car review site I've seen describes it as an appearance package. Therefore, just because they replaced the GTP badge with Special Edition lettering, doesn't mean it's not a GTP anymore.

If you see these cars write down (or better yet if you have a camera take a quick snap of VIN) then punch it in carfax and it will tell if what the hell it is... (except for the whole "special edition" thing, which I don't give a damn about)

Here's a Grand Prix SE Special Edition...

car2_big.jpg

car1_big.jpg

carforsale.jpg

holy crap those are freakin hot..GARY LANG auto group is by me!!!!!!!

DAMMIT

there is such a thing as a 94-96 GP Special Edition, no GTP badges anywhere, i've seen black, white, and red

Here's a Grand Prix SE Special Edition...

car2_big.jpg

car1_big.jpg

carforsale.jpg

holy crap those are freakin hot..GARY LANG auto group is by me!!!!!!!

DAMMIT

there is such a thing as a 94-96 GP Special Edition, no GTP badges anywhere, i've seen black, white, and red

so the 3.4 Special Edition has the RPO code denoting it is a GTP then?

That's what I was trying to look up. We'll have to get pwmin to give us his RPO codes (I think he's got a Special Edition).

The VIN doesn't tell you if it's an SE coupe or GTP coupe, because the GTP was an option (B4S).

As far as "SE" goes, I believe it probably meant something like "Sports Edition" since in the early 90's at least, they got a sportier body kit(BYP, like my '93 "SE" has), spoilers, different wheels in some cases, etc. Or maybe it doesn't stand for anything at all...

Oh and in case anyone wants to see this...here's a 1991 "GT" coupe that I took a photo of a few years ago. It was basically a GTP minus the louvers & 3.4 + a luggage rack type spoiler(it had gray leather quad buckets, DIC, HUD, etc, etc.)

forsaleGPGT91side.jpg

Is that a real GT, or did someone put a GT badge on it? It's just that in all the material I've read about Grand Prixs, I've never heard anything about a GT coupe.

You know, this just gets me thinking about how oddly w-bodies are distributed across the country. I mean, I see one of these SE Special Editions every day, but Chris questions whether or not they even exist. I remember Jeremy saying how 3100-equipped second-gen SE sedans are rare, yet there are so many around here that it's the 3800 sedans that are truly scarce.

Goddammed machines. I'll get you a picture of the Loch Ness SE, even if I have to drive around all night to find it.

Of course, he probably went home for Spring Break....

I am in Seattle and I rarely see GTP, but the SE with all the option packages on them are everywhere. I have yet to see any GP with badging that says "Special Edition"

I have yet to see any GP with badging that says "Special Edition"

none of them are "badged" that say, they are just stickers

:werd:

It's kinda like a Cavalier Z22... it's just a regular Cavalier (not a Z24) so who cares?

Is that a real GT, or did someone put a GT badge on it? It's just that in all the material I've read about Grand Prixs, I've never heard anything about a GT coupe.

Yes, that is a real GT. 8) I've seen at least a dozen over the past few years. This excerpt is from the main page here(http://www.w-body.com)

"1991

LE and McLaren Turbo coupes dropped; GT coupe added which gets the previous McLaren Turbo coupe's ground-effects treatment. 3.4L DOHC V6 motor producing 210HP becomes available with a choice of manual/automatic transmission on the coupes, and automatic-only on the sedans. Quad4 is improved to 180HP. Grand Prix also loses the composite "aero" headlights and gets mini-quads and a new front fascia on the coupe.

All sedans get STE light-bar front styling treatment. Quad 4 is dropped. GTP coupe still has 210-horsepower twin-cam V6 standard. ABS is standard on GT, GTP, and STE; optional on LE and SE. Base SE coupes can be dressed in GT lower-body extensions.

An electronically-controlled four-speed automatic is optional on LE sedan and SE coupe. A Sport Appearance Package for the LE sedan includes aero body panels, heads-up display, and bucket seats with console. Automatic door locks are standard. Chime added to warn driver if turn signal has been on for more than half a mile.

Grand Prix gets redesigned front/rear fascias and ground effects, as well as a new instrument panel with dual airbags, new gauges, and controls. STE, LE, and GT designations are gone. GT and GTP become option packages on SE coupe. A GT package is available on SE sedan, and includes 3.4-liter V6, alloys, low-profile tires, ABS, and sport suspension. Front seatbelts are anchored to pillars instead of doors on sedan; coupe retains door-mounted belts. Twin-cam 3.4-liter V6 is up ten horsepower. Five-speed manual and three-speed automatic transmissions are dropped in favor of four-speed automatic. Coupes gain standard equipment, including 16-inch alloys, cruise, and leather-wrapped steering wheel with integral radio controls. A completely new 160HP 3.1L V6, Gen III, replaces old 3.1L V6."

Basically, a GT coupe could be had in 91-93.

I think Heza's car is a Special Edition GTP and his didn't have the GTP emblems either...

zach96gtpsig.jpg

So why would he (and everyone else with a 3.4 Special Edition) call it a GTP?

Actually, if he could supply us with his RPO codes, we could see if there's a particular one for the Special Edition, and also one for B4S (GTP).

I'll be damned...

Dear Mr. Reynolds,

Thank you for contacting the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to production totals for early 1990 model Grand Prix GT.

The information you have requested is as follows. In 1991, there were a total of 2,546 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2-Door Coupes. In 1992, there were a total of 1,380 Grand Prix GT2-Door Coupes. In 1993, there were a total of 932 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2- Door Coupes.