cooling fan

one_fast_prix

hey guys, new to this forum coming over from v6z24. i just bought my first tgp a few weeks ago and when i first started driving it after i shut it off, the intercooler fan would still run for a couple of minutes, now i can't get the fan to run at all, while my main fan still works fine. thanks for any help.

I suppose we should destinguish what you mean by main fan, and intercooler fan. By main fan (the one still working), are you talking about the one you can see (between the radiator and engine block)?

yeah the fan for the radiator between the engine block and radiator is still working fine, but the smaller fan on the intercooler that is harder to see doesn't come on at all now let alone after the engine shuts off.

The only time that secondary fan should come on is with the A/C (provided your A/C compressor is functioning so the pressure can trigger the switch). Why it was coming on after you shut the car off, I don't know. Occassionally (depending where the temp is at), a fan would kick on in my cars after I shut them off, too. I'm pretty sure the primary fan kicks on in mine.

i'll turn the ac on tomorrow and see if the smaller one kicks on, but as far as the other, maybe thats what i heard, haven't used the a/c at all except when i was purchasing the car to see if it worked, but yeah the first couple of days after i bought it a fan would usually run a couple of minutes after i shut her off. also i kind of experimented with it a little earlier today and i would let the car idle til the rad fan kicked on then shut it off and both times fan shuts off with the car. so i was thinking it was the smaller a/c , intercooler fan or whatever the smaller ones called that i heard running before.

also i hear different things as to let the car idle before and after driving, but only nescessary on oil cooled turbos, is it a good idea on our cars or doesn't matter and how long

so i was thinking it was the smaller a/c , intercooler fan or whatever the smaller ones called that i heard runnung before.

Yeah, the A/C one is called the secondary fan. Normally, on the '88 - '96 w-bodies, both the primary and secondary fans are side by side between the radiator and engine block. But to make room for the intercooler, the shorter radiator only allowed room for one up front, with the secondary tucked away between the bumper and radiator.

Use the paper clip method that is used to check for SES codes. When you jump the A and B terminals on the ALDL Diagnostic connector under the dash both of the cooling fans are supposed to come on.

Jump the terminals on the Diag port and see if the intercooler fan comes on, if it doesn't then get a test light to check if it is getting power

if the fan is getting power at the motor connection, then the fan motor is bad.

If there is no power, then the secondary fan relay in the relay center on the right fender well could be bad.

Paper clip it and see what fan doesn't work, or if they both work.

so i was thinking it was the smaller a/c , intercooler fan or whatever the smaller ones called that i heard runnung before.

Yeah, the A/C one is called the secondary fan. Normally, on the '88 - '96 w-bodies, both the primary and secondary fans are side by side between the radiator and engine block. But to make room for the intercooler, the shorter radiator only allowed room for one up front, with the secondary tucked away between the bumper and radiator.

One is actually called a "puller" and the other a "pusher" fan, and they do what their name suggests. The one between the engine and rad pulls air through the rad. The pusher pushes air through the intercooler.

One is actually called a "puller" and the other a "pusher" fan, and they do what their name suggests. The one between the engine and rad pulls air through the rad. The pusher pushes air through the intercooler.

Oh....I thought those were unofficial terms, sort of like nicknames for them. I just looked them up real quick, and even my FMS Turbo Supplement refers to them as primary and secondary fans.

And I'll have to check the paperclip thing out myself. I can't swear by this, but I thought only my primary (or pusher) fan came on when in diagnostic mode on both my GPs.

Parts stores all call them pullers and pushers in the cases that there is one on each side, in the cases where they are both on the same side (normal) they are just considered right and left.

On a TGP

Right = puller= primary fan

Left = pusher = secondary fan.

I've checked on mine to be sure when I was working on Josh's TSTE and both fans are supposed to come on when paperclipping.

The seconday (IC) fan should be the one that comes on when you put the paperclip in. I thought that was the fan that would run after the car shut off as well.

I thought that was the fan that would run after the car shut off as well.

I only notice mine doing that some of the time, might be certain conditions set in the chip code.

Both fans come on with the paper clip, that's how I tested, checked, and replaced the primary fan in Josh's TSTE. I don't think the A/C worked, and I wasn't about to wait for the car to warm up.

hey, check your post over at the tgpforums... i posted up the full diagnostic info from the supplement manual....

btw, according to that, both fans can come on with a temperature but it also comes on with the AC.

it should come on with the paperclip in the ALDL connector also.

For anyone else who wants to read it... here's the link to the TGPforums thread.

http://www.tgpforums.com/tgp/viewtopic.php?t=2944

It is correct that both fans turn on when in the diagnostic mode. I just did this the other day and realized that my primary fan was not working. Took apart the assembly, and it looks like there might have been a small fire inside the motor that could not be seen anywhere else. This is also when I found out that the proper fan motor for the TGP is no longer made. Has been replaced by another motor, which you also have to replace the fan blade thing. Turns out this new style motor and fan setup is the same found in some of the Lumina APV vans, and some newer 1.5 gen monte z-34. The fan blade thing is around 122 bucks (lowest price I could find). Anyone else had problems with this??

Check out a "Hollander manual" at the salvage yard.

That will tell you if any part will interchange.

I got the primary fan motor from an OLDS.

I replaced the fan motor and blade after I realized that you coudn't just replace the motor using the old blade. I spent $120 for both, but I get a discount at GM.

The fan MOTOR I got from GM was identical to the motor at Carquest, but a few $ more. The blade, from what I have seen is dealer only.

This info all pertains to the Primary fan, the secondary may be the same as well.

I had to buy a new primary motor for my '89 and they only had the updated one. I had to buy the fan blade as well since they are different as mentioned, but I found out that other cars use the same blade. I wrote down the cars they were also used on so if anyone wants the info I can find it. 8)

I need it. I just found a blade set that fit inside the assembly like the old one did. But the blade design is completely diferent. instead of being straight blades like the TGP, they are curved. I have been told the curved blades are better for airflow, but i dont know that for sure,..