What is the best...

97loudcut

Well I know its bad but it;s the only way to clean your car during the winter....

From the local automatic car wash I have aquired many little scratches throughout my black paint as well as swirl marks. What is a good wax or product to use for my first wxing of the year when spring comes. I want something to take the scratches out and make it look shiney.

if you can use a buffer, i would use some polishing compound, than finish it up with a good wax. If there is a lot of marks, you might be better off to start with some rubbing compund, than polishing compound, than wax/polish whatever you use.

No cheapo "wax" will solve your swirl mark problems...

Right now I'm working on a 04 GP (black), and since it's so new just polishing compound alone is making some areas look like new again, although for the worse areas gotta hit it with the rubbing compound first. YOU WILL NEED A BUFFER (or destroy your arms trying to do it by hand :lol:)

This is my little friend...

dw849.jpg

Just for my personal knowledge - is it brush automated washes that do this?? Or do the touchless ones do it too somehow??

its the brush washes...even though they say they "dont scratch....super soft fibers" they still do

dirt/rocks, etc get caught in there and scratch it...thats why i go to one of those as less as possible...

EDIT:: they also tend to rip off exterior wipers as well...my mom went thru one yesterday in her 2003 Venture...and the wash ripped off the rear wiper, leaving only the stub where the assembly sits :evil:

Wash the car with some dish washing soap. This will remove all of the wax on the car. Get some rubbing compound and have fun with it. Wash it again with regular car soap, and get some good wax. Put a few coats on and your good to go.

And really...IMO...ANY auto car wash fucks with the paint. I've done it once to the Prix all winter for that fact. Any type of high pressure water just blasts dirt/salt/whatever into your wax and probably sometimes into the clear. I rather leave the car dirty as hell then get all of that shit blasted into the paint.

EDIT:: they also tend to rip off exterior wipers as well...my mom went thru one yesterday in her 2003 Venture...and the wash ripped off the rear wiper, leaving only the stub where the assembly sits :evil:

did they have the little bag things you put over the rear wiper thing?? they have them around here and the driver is responsible for putting it on.

I use a "blue corral" car wash (2 in 1 or somthing....) I found at the local wal-mart. It's a wash AND wax in 1 step. It's easy and I love it. Come spring I'm washing the camaro with it. 8)

We have a "brush" kind at work... I don't dare take my car though it! When I did before, it would smash the B4U pieces and i'd have to straighten them out... probably broke a few of the clips. :evil:

It has also:

-Torn off 3 antennas off of Sunfires (ALWAYS remove REAR antenna in those washes!!! Fronts are okay).

-Seen front licence plate bracket smashed off (guy had the car in backwards to clean it more)

-seen a broken SIDE MIRROR from a Alero

-OnStar antennas sometimes come off

-Took a minivan through with the dealer plate on (dangling from the rear wiper), LUCKLY it didn't damage the wiper, but it tore up the nylon dealer plate holder thingy.

And of course, they put swirl marks in your paint.

I don't think the pressure wash ones are near as bad... hell I'd still recommend them to use a few times in the winter in order to wash the damn salt off.

:withstupid:

Or you can just buy your own powerwasher like I did, it works good for washing off the salt/dirt/road grime... But if you want it really clean a DIY carwash is your best bet... I still take mine to the carwash, their powerwasher has a shitload more pressure than mine, and they have the brush attachment too (I have a nifty one that spins for my power washer though)