Swapping Stereos

kknobl

I'm looking to swap the original base AM/FM cassette and replace it with an upgrade AM/FM/Cassette w/Equalizer (yes I still have cassettes).

Has anyone ever done a similar swap? And if so, is it difficult? What's the procedure? If this is in the FAQ, I must have missed it...

Thanks,

Kevin

info please.

what car do you have, and what is the stereo from?

if it is the same make and model and similier year, it should be a virtually direct swap, but there can be differences year to year and model to model.

info please.

what car do you have, and what is the stereo from?

if it is the same make and model and similier year, it should be a virtually direct swap, but there can be differences year to year and model to model.

I have a 1993 Grand Prix with AM/FM Cassette (cassette does not work) and want to swap in the upgraded AM/FM Cassette with Equalizer from a 1991 Cutlass Supreme

If you need anymore info, let me know. I appreciate the help.

Kevin

yikes! Not familiar enough with which radio a 93 GP would have.

is the GP a 1.5 DIN? (or same size as the CS, that is.)

I have messed with a 94 Gp radio, installed it into a 91 6000, as well as a 91 lumina radio... And I also installed a lumina radio into a CS. so the wires should just about be the same.... Your best bet is to try plugging it in. The only issue I have seen with these radios is an issue with the parking(back) lighting. (But I do hate crossing the stream.... using wrong parts, if you cannot change the backlighting) so everything was returned to normal as soon as everything is fixed, in mine...

Your best bet is to try it and see what happens.

yikes! Not familiar enough with which radio a 93 GP would have.

is the GP a 1.5 DIN? (or same size as the CS, that is.)

I have messed with a 94 Gp radio, installed it into a 91 6000, as well as a 91 lumina radio... And I also installed a lumina radio into a CS. so the wires should just about be the same.... Your best bet is to try plugging it in. The only issue I have seen with these radios is an issue with the parking(back) lighting. (But I do hate crossing the stream.... using wrong parts, if you cannot change the backlighting) so everything was returned to normal as soon as everything is fixed, in mine...

Your best bet is to try it and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback - the GP has the stock Delco AM/FM Cassette that was offered on pretty much every GM car back in the day. The radio sounds great, just the casette player part is shot to piss.

The backlighting thing will be the only downside - I have a feeling it won't be backlit in red like the rest of the dash, but it will have to do.

I'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

Kevin