leaking brake fluid

mindgame

what are the most common trouble areas for this? ive gone over my lines and they all appear to be fine, monday ill be pulling the master cylinder to see what i can find there.. just seeing if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I had one of the lines running to the front wheels rust through and leak. The idiot mechanic who initially looked at it said "bad news.....I can't find any leaks, it's the mastercylinder". :shock: I'm like NO! I just got this damn thing! I just kept refilling it for a while. Then one day, I got curious about where it was dripping from. A friend met me at work, and before we left the parking lot, I told him to hop in and press the brake pedal. I was looking at the lines, and sure enough, the first one to you (if you're standing in front of the car) started gushing fluid out where the rubber over the metal ended. $40 later, I had a new custom line made (along with a few other minor repairs while he was in there), and all was good. :D

Enjoy pulling the master cylinder just to check for a leak.... :lol:

im taking autotech and were required to pull one, so may as well try and fix my own car.

thanks for the pointers, ill have to check for all of those when i do take it out.

Ummm, I still don't see anything stating which end of the car has the leak showing :? If its in the rear than proportional valve as was said, if up front then again as was said, rusty brake lines, but I will add that the rubber grommets that go around the ABS Solenoid and seal them to the fluid resevoir can get kinked and let fluid go past. Last and hope this is not it, the casting that holds the ABS pump motor, pressure switch and accumulator can have a crank in it, Prior addressed this with a top-notch fix, to make a new housing out of billet aluminum 8) just wish the old geezer that owns Prior had not jack the price of this unit up so high, really no reason for it, it was $350 to $400 for a while, then a little bump in price, then a stupid high jump in price :evil: come on, "most" people that buy a 15 year old car don't have that much money for such parts, at times the price (GM is the best example with their price being $3,200 for this ABS unit) of the part is more than the owner paid for the car, idiot is pricing him self right out of business with these PM III ABS Units :roll:

Jeff M

Oh yea, when pulling the ABS Unit, carful the brake light switch on the firewall inside the car, break that and you will be grumbling way more :wink: Also you only need to take off the 2 nuts or bolts (can't remember right now) to take off the ABS Unit, no need to do the 4 behind it that are much more work to get at! There are no rebuild kits for these, I have one that I will never let go but GM discontinued these long time ago, not sure where Prior gets their rebuild kits but if someone is good and has the contacts, sure there are ways to find all the o-rings, seals and springs to make a kit up, maybe since GM no longer offers the rebuild kits then the lock on selling them to GM only is gone so he gets them that way. Kind of my hopes someday when I get time :lol: to try and duplicate the rebuild kit's parts too 8) I hope :wink: .

Do the accumulator while you are there, these are common to fail, and about the only common part to fail on these :D . They last about 4 to 6 years so, do it now and be happy you did for the next 4-6 years 8) .

Good luck!!

Jeff M

I wonder how hard it would be to imitate/duplicate that billet housing.

I mean, if prior can make them, you would think any reputable machine shop would be abole to mill out something similar.

What else would be in a PMIII rebuild kit besides an assload of o-rings? Pistons and such? new solenoids?

Mindgame... I don't think you should drive it anymore and just get rid of it. Its dangerous to even have around... I have a place to store it, just send me the title and I will come save you :lol:

Mindgame... I don't think you should drive it anymore and just get rid of it. Its dangerous to even have around... I have a place to store it, just send me the title and I will come save you :lol:

Yea, what he said, but I live closer so...., less of a drive? :lol:

Jeff M

Yea, what he said, but I live closer so...., less of a drive? :lol:

Jeff M

Closer than Oklahoma? :shock:

how much ya gonna give me :D

my bad, it is def leaking from the front of the car. hopfully it will be an easy fix.

got the master cyl out this afternoon and all the brake lines appear to be in good

condition. and it looks like its leaking from the bottom portion of the master cyl. i plan on going thru it tomorrow and finding where the leak is coming from and putting it back in the car, hopfully it will work :?

got the master cyl out this afternoon and all the brake lines appear to be in good

condition. and it looks like its leaking from the bottom portion of the master cyl. i plan on going thru it tomorrow and finding where the leak is coming from and putting it back in the car, hopfully it will work :?

That's almost gotta be the master cylinder housing leaking.

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/powermaster.htm

Prior's contact info can be found there if you want to call them for a rebuild quote. :wink:

got everything put back in today, still have a couple things to go over. but its holding brake fluid again :D scanner had a few codes about the noids that i will look at next week. ran out of time today :S

got everything put back in today, still have a couple things to go over. but its holding brake fluid again :D scanner had a few codes about the noids that i will look at next week. ran out of time today :S

Well I learned nothing from that :roll: :lol: What did you find that was leaking :?:

Thanks, I am glad its going good for you though :thumbsup:

Jeff M

actually, it looked like it was leaking from a few places. kind of hard to pinpoint exactly where everything under the resivoir was completly dirty. just went thru it and put new o-rings in it, put some dressing on the gasket it was still in good shape and couldnt find a new one anywhere. and make sure everything was nice and tight and seems to be fine so far. just the problem mentioned above.

Ahh, thanks dude :D . Sorry to yank on you, I have, as others living on this forum for many years, learned that info is good to gather up from others, helps us with our cars at some point, and in helping others who might post next month, next year etc 8) We are the collective :cheers:

Thanks again :wink:

Jeff M