I'm torn....

jeremy

Which one would you get?  

1. 1. Which one would you get?

• '89 Red TGP
    • '90 White STE with factory MTX

I have my eye on two cars and I am torn between them...I haven't seen/driven either of them at this point however....so saying "torn" is a little premature

'89 TGP, the typical red/tan combo....~140k, rebuilt turbo, has valence, looks good, supossedly runs/drives/shifts like it is supposed to. $1200

'90 STE factory MTX 3.1 n/a, white with grey cloth, ~144k, rebuilt tranny and freshly repainted. $1500

I am torn but leaning toward the STE because it is 4dr and a very rare car at that, I am really stoked to see/drive it.....although I do like the idea of going boosted...

They are both located in OH so I will have to wait until Saturday to go look at either/both of them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremy

• Prospeeder

• TeeJay3800

• THe_DeTAiL3R

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the ste may prove more reliable and trouble free in the long run, and engine and tranny parts would be easier to get. I also like 4 doors. But it is your choice... the turbo would be fun :) Don't foget the PITA exhaust crossovers that were poorly designed. Custom replacements are availible through someone.

I should also ask, do both have powermaster-IIIs? I would avoid a powermaster if I had the choice, unless you would be willing to convert to vacuum as i have done.

good luck

4 door cause you got a kid.

if i weren't head deep in cars i'd go after the tgp if you went after the STE

I saw! make more space! lay more gravel! :lol: It is a TGP. You said you'd like a Z-34... a TGP would be better!

looks like the vote right now is split down the middle too..

Personally, I'd go for the STE with the MTX rather then the TGP - but that's just me.

--Dave.

4 door cause you got a kid

This is Month 12 of my "two doors and a baby" adventure, and I'm doing just fine...

Snag the TGP. The STE is still a 3.1 w-body sedan, no matter how rare it is.

Guest TurboSedan

STE all the way! you could simply turbocharge the existing LH0 if you wanted boost :wink:

NA STE is just more practical (sedan), and probably more dependable than the TGP.

5 speeds are more addictive...

Well I have a 5 speed v8 RWD car and an auto FWD V6 and I definately drive the auto car a lot more often...... 5 speed is fun, but auto is nicer sometimes when your tired and whatnot, and its better for drag racing anyways...

If the TGP does in fact seem to have a good shifting tranny and you can talk them down to $1k, then I'd definately go with that. Although I don't know how much driving you do and what type of driving you do, because you do need to remember that the TGP will require premium whereas the STE will not. The tranny would be the number one deciding factor to me though...if the trans doesn't appear to be 110% then run away quickly...just my $.02 though.

I would go look at and drive both cars and then make your decision. On paper the decision may be hard to make, but when you actually see the cars and can compare their condition and whatnot it will make the choice a lot easier.

Where are these cars located?

Shawn

Call me an idiot, and I've been a W-body fan for years, but what in the heck is MTX?

manual transaXle

I still think the STE is just another sedan, but with a 5-speed, I don't care how rare they came. The TGP is a special car, and I know Jeremy gets bored of cars quickly. :lol:

Call me an idiot, and I've been a W-body fan for years, but what in the heck is MTX?

manual transaXle

Haha, thanks. In all my years around cars, I've never heard that acronym before. In that case, go with the STE for sure!

All i gotta say is

Premium gas

My last few cars have required premium fuel....so that isn't a big deal.

I am not sure as to what other options the STE has, I just asked about the leather, which unfortunately it doesn't have.

Oh well, I am going to look at the STE on Saturday morning, and I might try to set up something to check out the TGP the same day.