Any W Bodies W/V8 Swap?Or 4.3 V6 etc?

95oldsVan

Was just curious if anyone has ever done a V8 swap into a W body.

Or maybe even the 4.3 V6 or larger etc.if so any info or links?Im just curious and want to read about it.Not going to do it myself though.

Thanks!

:)

I have heard of installing 4.9 caddy engines! But those engines are horrible, IIRC they are all aluminium and wear out the bores or rings, thus suffer from low compression, and have poor headgskets. I've also heard that from the these motors require a alumaseal stopleak additve from the factory.

A company calles ASG in indianapolis takes and blueprints the 4.9 caddy engine and uses stronger components and calls their built engine ASG 5.0 and you must upgrade to a electronic tranny too.

read!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycaddy/asg.htm

i really wonder if that asg 5.0 is worth the effort, i don't know what those caddy engines put out from the factory, but it looks to be a TBI setup ( i could be wrong though ) i'd think it would net you about the same power as the 3.4 thats riped out to swap it in.

i know i've seen a caddy northstar swaped into a second gen grand prix, but i do believe those engine bays are larger then our first gen cars.

There was a 95+ Monte or Lumina posted on clubgp a while back that had a 300hp Northstar swapped into it. If it was a Monte, I'm sure you could find it on the MyMonte site.

EDIT: I believe this should be the thread over at MyMonte w/ the car I mentioned.

http://www.mymonte.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=5702&highlight=northstar+swap

Some one did a northstar V8 and RWD swap into a 96 Grand Prix GTP

Damn mustve been expensive.What about a FWD V8?Anyone know?

I believe there's a guy with a 95 ot 96 Monte Carlo that swapped in a Northstar as well. You might try looking that up on MyMonte.com

There was a guy on this forum who had a Lumina Z34 with the ASG 5.0/4T60E swapped in. I haven't seen him on here in over a year or so...

i think we kinda chased his ricer ass outa here

300 hp maybe, but it still runs barely under 15's in the 1/4. And for that price you could get a nice L67, which is a better engine, gets better MPG, and would beat that ASG up and down. If you want a V8 just to have it, but have less power as a result, go with it.

I saw this on cardomain a while back, looks like he updated it recently. This is what I want to go with my GP only with a turbo 3.8

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665715

That car is badass but damn thats alot of work!At least hes having fun making all the changed as he goes.Should be a nice set up when its all finished.

Ive heard of people doing FWD caddy swaps with them older 4.9 V8's and i never liked them engines much.They leak all the time and the ones I worked on years back at the Caddy dealer always ran a bit too hot.Didnt have alot of power for a small V8 anyways,not by today standards either.

Id rather do a decent FWD swap with the best V6's out there or a small V8 that packs a punch.However,even though I used to own a 86 Corvette with a modded engine and rear,and have always been a V8 guy,theres something to be said about making a V6 fast too.

we would love to have two of the new 440 Hp supercharged/intercooled 4.4L N* V8's from the new CTSV for the 442...

whether its a Aspirated V6, Turbo V6, or a nifty V8...if one is good...

TWO is better :mrgreen:

121_2149.jpg

:D

4 wheel drive doesnt hurt either :lol:

That GN Twin turbo set up,RWD is what GM should have offered as well.I love FWD cars but they just didnt have enough RWD cars in their line up back in the 90's.That Lumina RWD conversion set up is truly badazz!

LS4 is the only V8 worth attempting to install into a W-body if you plan to keep it FWD.

Caddy pushrod V8's were not good engines. The Northstar is overly complicated, difficult to work on, and too much work to fit into a gen 1 W-body, although they fit easily into the 2nd gen from what I've been told.