yes another "how to" question.

3.1LUMITIC

How do i bleed the street rack/pump. I repalce the pump a few months ago b/c my old one went out even after replacing it i still have no power steering. it went out after some fun in the snow i had the wheel to lock for a few seconds while doing donuts and the power steering went out. i think i have an air bubble stuck in the system some where ao i think ineed to bleed it. so can anyone help me?

when i had alota air in my system i just let the pump run with the cap off for awhile and it left that way, but if you have zero power assist, i think theres problems elsewhere then air in the lines.

it has some assistance its not arm wreching to turn the wheel. but what other problem do think i might have when i let go of the wheel it goes strightso i dont know...

Guest TurboSedan
when i had alota air in my system i just let the pump run with the cap off for awhile and it left that way, but if you have zero power assist, i think theres problems elsewhere then air in the lines.

:werd:

i think usually you just need to spin the wheel from lock-to-lock a few times with the cap off (and add fluid as needed). should get quiet pretty quick.

although my brother just had the same problem last week when he installed a new PS pump. he had no assist and couldn't figure it out. the pump finally started pumping enough fluid when he revved the engine up high, then it started working. sounds wierd but that's how it worked. he replaced the rack at the same time so maybe it just had a ton of air in the system :shrug:

Guest TurboSedan
it has some assistance its not arm wreching to turn the wheel. but what other problem do think i might have when i let go of the wheel it goes strightso i dont know...

slipping belt on pump pulley? bad pump bearings maybe?

i think usually you just need to spin the wheel from lock-to-lock a few times with the cap off (and add fluid as needed).

^^^

The "proper" proceedure according to the FSM is:

BLEEDING THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM

1. Begin with engine off' date=' front wheels off the ground, and wheels turned all the way to the left.

2. Add either standard power steering fluid or optional cold climate fluid, to the "FULL COLD" mark on the fluid level indicator.

3. Bleed the system by turning the wheels from side to side without hitting stops.

[b']Important:[/b] This may require turning the wheels from side to side several times. Keep the level at the "FULL COLD" mark. Fluid with air in it has a light tan apperance. This air must be eliminated from the fluid before normal steering action can be obtained.

4. Start the engine. With the engine idling, recheck the fluid level. If necessary, add fluid to bring to "FULL COLD" mark.

5. Return the wheels to the center position. Lower the front wheels to the ground. Continue running the engine for two or three minutes.

6. Test the vehicle to be sure the steering functions normally and is free from noise.

Important: Inspect for fluid leakage at the connection points along the power steering system.

7. Recheck the fluid level as described in Steps 3 and 4 except that the fluid level should be up to the "FULL HOT" mark after the system has stabilized at its normal operating temperature.