lowering the rear

bigdman

i have a monoleaf rear suspension sits to high for me, i would like to lower it 2 to 3 inches, but heres the problem i'm on a budget. does anyone know how i could keep the monoleaf and drop it. or coilovers, i've heard that coilovers can screw up the whole rear end.

Nah, no one has shown any evidence that coilovers can screw up the whole rear end. Not saying it couldn't happen, but a handful of people have them and have had them for years and haven't noticed any problems. Coilovers are expensive though. $300+ for JUST the coilovers last I looked. What kind of budget are you looking at?

The only real cheap way to do it is to install a sagging spring. That ought to cost you well less than $100. I've also seen a ghetto method by using an overload spring in reverse, one of those kinds designed for trucks.

I would recommend the coilovers after seeing Jay's ride, but like Shawn mentioned, they certainly aren't the cheap way to go......if have the car long enough, the rear end will start to sag on it's own :D

i have a monoleaf rear suspension sits to high for me, i would like to lower it 2 to 3 inches, but heres the problem i'm on a budget. does anyone know how i could keep the monoleaf and drop it. or coilovers, i've heard that coilovers can screw up the whole rear end.

Do what I do: carry all your ex-girlfriends in body bags in the trunk, that will lower the car :lol:

tools actually :P

I havent seen the Leaf set up real close,but there may be a way to lower it.

I had an 86 Corvette with the rear mono leaf spring and the way to lower the back of the car was to remove the 2 side bolts w/castle nuts/cotter pins and install new bolts with thread locking bolts and adjust it that way.

Are there 2 side bolts with a castle nut that determine the where the spring bolts down at?If so,I dont see a reason why you cant replace those bolts and install the nuts at a higher level than before,causing the back of the car to sit lower.

As I said,I havent seen how its bolted all the way and this was the design of the Vette I had to lower it.

If that will not work,another trick for the front of the Vette,which may be similar to the rear of car you have, was to shave off/remove the mono leaf main bushing/shims to allow a lower stance.

Dont know if this helps but wnated to pass this along.

:)

The leaf isn't bolted down on the ends. It just rests on the back side of the strut knuckle.

Here's an old pic I have that points out the different components of the rear suspension (IIRC, I was pointing out how the swaybar mounted) :

sbds.jpg

Another idea I had awhile back, but decided was either not feasible or too much work (I can't remember), was to cut out the center spring perch and mount the spring up higher. I seem to recall you could get a nice 2" drop that way, if it were practical to do.

From the looks of the photos,can one install some shims under the spring were it sits inside on the ends?If you raise the spring sides,the car should drop some.Just curious...Im just going by a pic so not sure how much room is inside the pocket area.

You could always bag it........ oh wait, never mind. You said you were on a budget!

Seriously though, these cars are a pain to do anything with the suspension. I guess it's the price we pay for not being ricers......darn

Sean :thumbsup:

The spring pushes down on the knuckles, so if you put shims in there, it would actually lift the rear.

Duh me...I think youre right...Its been a while since I lowered the Corvette and remember now that when you can lower the spring ends it helps the car drop some.Raising the spring corners lifts the body more.Gotta lay off the Jack D's!

:lol:

You could always bag it........ oh wait, never mind. You said you were on a budget!

Seriously though, these cars are a pain to do anything with the suspension. I guess it's the price we pay for not being ricers......darn

mine will be bagged asap, but the wedding is getting in the way of that! can you send me a brief explination of how you did it, pics if u can? thanks jay

loeridr6792@aol.com

mine will be bagged asap, but the wedding is getting in the way of that! can you send me a brief explination of how you did it, pics if u can? thanks jay

loeridr6792@aol.com

Hey man, I don't really have alot of pictures of the current setup, but we are currently revamping the rear and once we start cuttin and welding we are gonna take mad pictures. We think we can get the car to lay frame, or unibody, or whatever hangs the lowest. We are finishing up a bag install on an S-10 and the Cutlass is next. I hope to have pictures sometime next month. Ill post em when I get them.

later

Sean

No, by adding shims, you would effectively raise the car, that's how truck lifts blocks work, but sideways. If the leaf mounted under the perches, then that would work the way you're thinking it should.

hey luminal67, are you running the monoleaf that you can currently buy from george? If I were to call and order one, would I have to specify anything in particular, spring rates, distances, etc, or just tell him it's a w-body? I'm looking for around a 1.5-2" drop, just want to make sure i get it, and still a stiff suspension. Thanks