EBC Green Stuff pads opinions as of late??

bartonmd

This is slightly different than previous Green Stuff posts...

I had only heard good things about the Green Stuff pads in the past, and several of my friends had them on their cars and were very happy with them. I went to order a set from Tire Rack yesterday and they weren't listed. I called them and asked why, and they said they'd been good for a long time, but in the last year or so, they'd had a 70% compaint rate about them... I don't know if this is real or not, meaning that maybe there was a falling out between the Tire Rack and EBC, or if there really have been a bunch of complaints...

So, anybody have any input on whether the recent (last year or so) Green stuff pads are any good??

Thanks,

Mike

Bought a set for my old Lumina back in August of 04 from TireRack. Pads stopped the car excellent, but produced a ton of brake dust and had the "semi-metallic" squeaking.

I never had any problems with the pads as far as manufacturing defects go from 8/04 until I traded the car in 3/05...

Only one person has Green Stuff pads on a car with such shitty brakes from the factory??

Some of did brake upgrades instead!

I've seen brake pads first hand that sheared and seperated, but have not seen green stuff pads in person. That's the primary thing I have seen go wrong with pads.

That's fair... How much does a brake upgrade cost?? I assume you're talking about getting brakes from a newer W-body from the junk yard??

About the pads, you've heard of Green Stuff pads doing that, or just in general??

Thanks,

Mike

The Green Stuff pads are the high friction (~.5u compared to ~.3u or something of regular pads) carbon-kevlar street brake pads... I've done pads like this on my motorcycles (EBC HH and SBS HF), and they make a HUGE difference and don't tear up rotors or anything, but I just haven't done it on cars.

Mike

That's fair... How much does a brake upgrade cost?? I assume you're talking about getting brakes from a newer W-body from the junk yard??

About the pads, you've heard of Green Stuff pads doing that, or just in general??

Thanks,

Mike

General j/y pads, brand unknown, as well as the pads that were on my 95 CS at time of purchase. I do not know what may be wrong with the green stuff pads.

I do a rear brake upgrade on the pre-94 type rear brakes.

read:

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/rear_brake_upgrade.htm

Guest TurboSedan
How much does a brake upgrade cost??

i've upgraded the rear brakes on both of my cars. cheapo rear rotors are about $25 each. i went with Raybestos PG Plus pads which were about $38/set. one j/y charged me $10 for the rear calipers/brackets/bolts, and the other charged me $15. '94+ rear brake upgrade can be done for around $100. big downside is the parking brake issue.

front brake upgrade cost me a little more....about $200. i spent $100 on a set of front strut/knuckles from a '96 Cutlass, and then all you need is a set of pads and new 11.25" rotors.

ah... front struts/knuckles... Just replaced the struts in the front, and not looking to pay for them again... Plus, I don't nessicarily want to spend that much money on a $700 car that I only drive when I'm not riding my bike..

I think I'll still do the $175 for high friction pads and new rotors all around and see how that does, I guess...

About the Green Stuff pads, he mentioned just a lot of complaints about noise and dust, and not so much pad failure... but he didn't say they weren't failing either,so I dono...

Thanks,

Mike

Dope-Slap! That should have been said already! :lol: I took that to be a given. Thats what happens when someone fails to understand that high performance pads are noiser and dustier!

BUT i would still do the rear brake swap, and i have said time and time again that even if the slides are fixed, the 88-93 parking brake sucks and I have had the pistons jamb along with parking brake getting stuck. They just plain suck.

For my upgrade I salvaged parts from j/y cars that had just had brake jobs done. I paid around $25 a set for both rear calipers + brackets + bolts + rotors that still had the manufacturing hatchmarks + hoses + all the parking brake cables + the new parking brake lever. These are availible from 94+ CS, Regal, GP, and very a few 95+ luminas and m carlos.

Yeah, and I knew the pads are going to be a bit louder, but he also said some "didn't work" but that was all he said... I don't know if "didn't work" means that people didn't think they had any more braking power than factory, or if they grenaded...

Actually, I just called again and talked to another guy, and apparently, contrary to marketing, they take a couple stops to get up to temperature...

Anybody with Green Stuff pads notice initial braking isn't there when it's below 30 degrees??

Mike

BTW, I don't use the parking brake on the lumina, so it's not a big deal to me that they stick...

They should still be functional in case of an emergency! But yeah I don't use em much either.