• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• birdman

• Prospeeder

• digitaloutsider

• jeremy

I know my '93 auto had no problem getting the tires to spin from a stop....anyway...

Don't forget about your fuel delivery system. A bad fuel filter and injectors are also a very commen problem for the "bog" that your talking about.

well i replaced the fuel filter and im pretty sure the injectors are bad because they load up the cylinder so the first time i start it each day it runs rough for a min or two. ive got a set of 95's in the trunk and im sendin them out to get rebuilt and stickin those in when spring gets here.

well i know what your saying but i dont see why anywhere past 2/3 throttle is like on and off, you go too far down=slow, let up a little=go. just dosnt seem like leaky injectors would cause that, mabey im wrong though :shrug:

Try running some heavy duty fuel system cleaner through it. My local GM dealership reccomended Chevron's Techron fuel system cleaner. It was about $13 at my local parts store. Maybe that'll help you out a bit with those injectors? :shrug:

my old 3.4 had 95K on it and couldn't spin the tires. It isn't completely uncommon for 3.4's to have a hard time getting a nice squawk. Hell my 97 with only 30K doesn't even burn em up too well. Top end cleaner, fuel filter, fuel injectors, all mentioned previously will probably help that a lot. Yes, over time the timing belt can stretch and that will also not help you at all. And DO NOT do the 13 degree cam retard. If people would actually read up on that they would know that it hurts low end torque very badly.

I can say how I got my 3.1's injectors 2 quiet down/clean them out, but I cannot recommend it, it *COULD* cause damage:

With that said, Drive the car down to 1/4 of a tank or just below, put in 1/2 a bottle of seafoam into the gas. Drive 10 miles or so to make sure the mixture gets into the injectors and let it sit all night. Let it warm up next day and drive it SLOWLY to the gas station, your motor might ping at higher RPMS. Put in $10 of super in, drive it slowly for another 2-3 miles and then continue to drive it regularly. I was able to clear up my injector ticking that way.

i did the cheveron and my timing belt look ok, at least its still the correct width, im planning on getting the timing tool and doing a 6* 6*, ive heard the dose a little for low end.

there kinda like that, they make all there power at 4k-5k+ no low end, most guys cant spin them from a stop, unless they have some shitty tires

again, RESEACH MAN, you sound like a tool AGAIN talking about a subject you know little about.

My LQ1 will roast the tires from a stand still thru 2ed gear on dry pavement with good tires (but my lq1 isnt stock). threefours old lumina, BONE STOCK with 90k would light them up from a standstill with the press of the gas. Tonys lumina doesnt seem to have any problems spinning them either.

Sounds like your car could use a good top end cleaning (pull the plenum off and scrub it), run 1/2 a can of seafoam or cleens thru it after, set of delco plugs, new o2 and a set of wires if needed. your bogging might be from an intake leak, so if you have the time, tackle that.

Good luck, a healthy running LQ1 shouldnt have a hard time spinning them up. If you still have problems after getting it running right, the 13 degree timing mod will help ya bottom end out.

I find that hard to belive A stock auto would roast the tires from a stop

Are you kidding? ALL 3.4's regardless of transmission type can spin the tires.

I have new found beleif, if a 1990 Maxima 3.0 DOHC can have smoke come off the tires just by flooring it from a stop with 160 horses, in an auto also, then im sure a 3.4 dohc can

I have new found beleif, if a 1990 Maxima 3.0 DOHC can have smoke come off the tires just by flooring it from a stop with 160 horses, in an auto also, then im sure a 3.4 dohc can

:thumbsup:

Let it be known, slow..or uh Prospeder says DOHC have low end torque

any update birdman?

Wait, but I thought before he said they had nothing but high end power? lol

:lol2:

Question,

Could a restricted exhaust (ie, clogged cat) reduce low end power?

My experience,

Gutting cat :bash: and putting back stock air box :D as well as the engine side poly inserts :D for the dog bones helped free up some low end power but reduced high end where it counts!

Too bad we dont have any dyno graphs of a stock 3.1 to compare to a stock 3.4. You would see that the 3.4 has more low end power than the 3.1 does. The weight of the 3.4 over the front tires generally will keep it from spinning its tires, unless the tires are shitty, or you do have mods done.

Me personally, I have problems with wheel hop :wink:

All the 3.4s I've drove (mostly 95+ Montes that have been sitting at dealerships, and all of them were automatic) basically felt like they had the same amount of bottem end as a 3100 engine. Of course, after 3k or whatever it just keeps on going...