Want to keep steering wheel controls w/ aftermarker stereo?

Rocketman

I did some research and dug this up:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacswisteerw.html

If your stereo has an optional remote that uses infrared, then this should work with it. You can also program the buttons to do different tasks than intended...IE 'seek' can be 'next track'. WILL NOT work with non-iR H/U's

Says its universal...has anyone given it a shot? For $60 its not too bad...

EDIT: it seems it has come up before, but it would be nice to sticky so its easy to see

EDIT#2: Theoretically it would be possible to add RSWC to non-RSWC cars to control an aftermarket H/U...that would be cool shitz

94 GP? The one I bought for my 95 Regal 2 years ago from LogJam isn't sold anymore (SoundGate Remote 1.5 v4.) It is/was completely plug-n-play with both the factory SWC's and the aftermarket HU, with a simple 3 wire hookup.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/stwhcoin.html

If you had a Pioneer HU, I'd recommend:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundrempiogm.html

The difference between the REMPIOGM and the Remote 1.5 that I have is the REMPIOGM plugs into the wired remote port on the back of the Pioneer HU, whereas mine has a tiny IR emitter that emulates the HU's remote control.

As far as installing SWC's on a car that doesn't have them:

For 88-93 and for 94-96 W-Bodies...

What car specifically? If you have a mid-90's GM, you should be able to implement a W-Body clockspring and steering wheel. If you notice, most of the Buicks had the same wheel throughout the model range, same for the Pontiacs and Olds'. Seeing as the airbags were the same, the clocksprings should be the same as well.

You know, I've been wondering about this. It has been my MAIN reason for not changing out the factory H/U, since I like the controls on my steering wheel just the way they are. Now, if I can still use them for a new H/U...I just might try changing it out although it didn't say if it would be compatible with the Sony Xplod WX-4500X CD.

do you have to tear apart the steering column?
Not at all. All the connections are made at the radio harness.

The SoundGate unit I have in my Regal has 3 wires: Switched 12v+, ground, and the last wire ties into the data wire from the SWC's (the instructions show you which wire to tap into...)