Need help Quickly 91 basic cass. to 1992 88premium prob

CutlassSL91

ok, i just got a delco cassette from a '92 delta 88 (the nicer style with the cro2, and all the buttons) to replace my basic delco cassette in my cutlass supreme. ok, so when i tried to plug in the new one, the lights that illuminate the buttons barely work and the digital guages dim down. ANY IDEAS as to why?

so it does sound like there is something wrong with the radio unit then?

One thing, the 7 pin plug inlet in the later reciever is in a completely different location than the old HU. and then where the group in inlets where the plugs go, there is one empty spot where nothing gets plugged in. Now i know that this HU (from '92 88 royale) is supposed to work

do you have the original 92 olds 88 harness? I can try to help you. I know what the additional 6 pin spot is for, it is for an optional auxilary cd player some olds 88 and 98s had. (only ever seen two!)

the additional spot os up by the other two spots then right. the one that seems to be floating near the botton, away from the rest on the 88royale HU is where you plug the harness with the 7 pins with the red clip then right?because that is what i did

Did you turn the radio on and test it? Most of these radios will interswap fine, except for the wires to light the radio lights will be different. I want to put the same radio in mine but haven't loacted one yet, btw.

You have the connector is the right spot. Again the empty spot would be a 6 pin slot for factory auxilary devices.

I need to know this:

Did you turn the radio on and test it?

Do you have the original harness for the radio in the olds 88?

hmmm It must ba a difference in wiring..... have you tried dissconnecting the balck clip with the red plugs?

This is a wiring diagram and it matches the radio pin set that your car should have accoring to the manual I have in front of me except:

slot 8 may have a green power feed wire to activate the antenna,

and

http://www.evilplastic.com/pics/95_radio_pinout.gif

However, you will have a different number and count of connectors.

You will not have the 6 pin part of the "gray" connector.

Instead you will either have:

1 long black one(10pin) and a blue(4pin) and black/red one (7pin)

or

1 black one(6pin) white one(4pin)and a blue(4pin) and black/red one (7pin)

Is there any chance you may be able to retrieve the donor cars radio connector? It's radio wires may hae the color info you need to decode.

The problem you are experiencing must be tied to either connector 5,6,7 or a connector on the black/red clip.

How many wires do you hae on the black/red connector? please list colors.

Another question.... on the 7 pin black/red connector in your car you may have a purple wire and a gray wire next to each other. Those are the dimming wires for the car equipment as i understand it.....

are these the colors you see, in order on the 7 pin clip?

black -ground

(blank)

purple -vaccum flourescent dimming

gray -incandescent dimming input

(blank)

dark blue -data line to radio steering wheel controls (if equipped?)

dark green -data line

Do you have the deluxe (auto) climate control or basic puch button?

ok, that is good info.

I mentioned before:

http://www.evilplastic.com/pics/95_radio_pinout.gif

this is basically the exact wiring in both your car and the 88 royale, although it may have slightly different connectors.

except in your car, slot 8 may have a green power feed wire to activate the antenna,

plus

the 7 pin black/red clip:

black -ground

(blank)

purple -vaccum flourescent dimming

gray -incandescent dimming input

(blank)

dark blue -data line to radio steering wheel controls (if equipped?)

dark green -data line

Your car will lack the 6 pin portion of the connector used for auxilary cd players in 88 royales, if equipped.

If I suggested cutting a wire, would you be willing to do that and reconnect it if it doesn't correct the problem?

Evilplastics connectors 6 and 7 should be the problem. According to my info in CS's 6 (gray/black, lights on input),7(brown/white, vacuum fluorescent input) which is the opposite for the saturn radio mentioned. I suggest cutting one, and then the other of these wires and seeing what happens. If everything works properly but the radio display, than that is the probelm... Next, I suggest crossing the wires as a most likey fix, which may make the radio and all the lights work properly.

excellent. was it just crossing wires 6 and 7 from the diagram? Does it matter then if black/red connector is plugged in? Basically, give us a quick run down so anyone curious will know.

the red harness what not required. i honestly don't even remember which ones i switched. i think it was the grey and the brown wire. i just looked up a wiring diagram and that was very helpful

the red harness what not required. i honestly don't even remember which ones i switched. i think it was the grey and the brown wire. i just looked up a wiring diagram and that was very helpful

just confirming, it sounds like what I discovered, which is that they reversed those two wires on various production models with no ryhme or reason.

P.S. does your car have Steering Wheel Radio Controls? And if so does the new radio work with them?

CRO2 Is a button that some radios have. It has to do with the 'quality' of the tape being played. Cheap cassette with cheap ferrous material or more expensive with Cromium oxide. In my opinion, it seems to reduce hiss noise, no matter what is being played.

I was hoping....

I have 94 CS SWRC wiring info, in a month or so I'm going to try to custom build one... and will post a tutorial if successful, and see if it works for other radios as well hmmmm.

Is the sound quality any better with the new radio? Have you done any speaker upgrades? I am upgrading all my cars with premium speakers from GM cars with Concert Surround II(except my vert), but am not utilizing any amps or anything.....

I am also experimenting with an external factory cd player, which your radio has the option of hooking up to (6 pin slot). If you found one(such as 95 Buick Riverias have) you'd be able to link it, once the wiring on the cd player is decoded.