How many CCA do our cars need?

1990lumina

My old 4.3L V6 Astro had an interstate 450 CCA, and damn did that thing kick over. but if you are supposed to have 650 and are only getting 150, change batteries. Replacement oem sounds good..but as stated above, if you have an audio system, go with 800 XD

I guess if the battery isn't holding anything for charge and the alternator has to work harder that will reduce performance slightly....SonyMan's tranny was probably helped because his is electroically controlled and low voltage likes to do crazy things to computer run stuff that needs a certain amount of voltage to run correctly.

On the other hand I dorve my RX-7 to the farm with NO battery in it and it was fine lol (push started it and drove 2 hours to the farm)

thats wierd, cause it doesnt work that way, but mabye RX-7s are different??! The alt charges the battery and the car runs from the battery, not starts from the battery then just runs off the altentor directly

IIRC RX7's aren't electronic ignition...so the engine needs no electric power to run.

2 summers ago we had a '62 Plymouth Station Wagon with a 440 in it and the alternator went out and the battery was completely dead. Yet we jump started it and drove it home 3 hrs with no problems since the car had a distributor. It had no brake lights or turn signals or anything, but it ran under its own power just fine.

Shawn

I have a piece of shit Interstate Battery in my Cavalier and it sucks. My car cranks slowly and it makes my key in ignition buzzer cut out! :lol: I won't buy Motomaster after the Z34 ate 3 of the bastards. I am a believer in AC Delco.

For what it's worth, I had an interstate battery in my93 GP from 1999 until mid year 2005 before it died.

thats wierd, cause it doesnt work that way, but mabye RX-7s are different??! The alt charges the battery and the car runs from the battery, not starts from the battery then just runs off the altentor directly

Actually, the battery starts the car and the car runs off the alt while it charges the battery. The only time the battery does anywork is when it starts the car.

I put my Red Top into my old Lumina. It'll fit fine. I believe I have the larger one, too.

The large red top won't fit in a TGP, I know that.

Shawn

Maybe I don't have the biggest one, then. I can't remember whether or not it has two sets of posts.

I put my Red Top into my old Lumina. It'll fit fine. I believe I have the larger one, too.

The large red top won't fit in a TGP, I know that.

Shawn

Maybe I don't have the biggest one, then. I can't remember whether or not it has two sets of posts.

Both the little and bigger ones have side and top posts, that doesn't tell you. One is just physically bigger than the other and has more CA & CCA.

Shawn

Actually, the battery starts the car and the car runs off the alt while it charges the battery. The only time the battery does anywork is when it starts the car.

Thats not what my Autoshop teacher, a GM certafied mechanic at a dealer for 20 years said, go start your car and then disconnect the battery and see, mines a pain to get to because of the IC piping and what not

I dunno...the car had all guages working, lights were working, all that stuff. I should clear up by "NO battery I meant the battery had a dead cell in it and would not take any type of charge. In other words the car woul run forever, you shut it off and you'd have no lights or anything....sorry about the confusion, I meant it had no battery in the sense the battery was fucked, however it seems to have completed the circuit..just didn't hold any volts at all.

Sorry about that, however, yeah my RX-7 is carbed, and the ignition is done by distributor I believe....

However on this drive to the farm like I said all light were working, stereo was working, guages were working. Again sorry about the confusion before we get into a heated debate because of my fuck up..sorry!

This picture half ass shows the igintion PhotoPC%20Sunday,%20May%2016,%202004%20824%20PM%2015.jpg

Better pic:

0526_012.jpg

This the the dead ass battery:

0526_013.jpg

Wow these picstures are older...the engine is MUCH cleaner now then shown there....damn the engine bay is dirty

wow that oil filter looks fun! or does all the fluid drain out of it bofore you take it off? OH BTW people are gonna give u shit for the fram filter, i dont really mind, scince i use them too :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

When changing the oil you gotta pop a hole with a screw driver into the top of the filter to drain it...and yeah all this car has seen is Fram...no problems ever, until something fails I don't really care - and please, let's not start another Fram vs. everytihng else thread