• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garrett Powered

• dbtk2

• 90_Black_TGP

• Prospeeder

Where are you located and what color is it?? I'm actually kind of interested in a TSTE for the wife. We're going to need a 4 door car since we only have coupes and we have a baby girl due in Feb. 8)

Do you have any pictures??

Wow, a red one, you don't see too many of those around here. There were twice as many white ones as there were red, so red is kind of a rarity. What its worth definately depends on the shape of it and many other things. I paid $1800 for mine with 69k miles over 2 years ago, but that was a pretty good buy IMO. I would say yours, assuming it has no brake problems at all and is in good shape as you say, is probably $2k-$2500 or so.

Shawn

Where are you located and what color is it?? I'm actually kind of interested in a TSTE for the wife. We're going to need a 4 door car since we only have coupes and we have a baby girl due in Feb. 8)

Do you have any pictures??

Congrats, :D Yea, you guys are going to need that 4-door tgp. Definately gonna need a good safe reliable good looking car like that to tote her around 8)

sorry guys its not the STE but the TGP, we only got it a few days ago so I didn't really get to see until today.

But its really a clean car and I would rather see a Grand Prix buff buy it then someone who knows nothing about these cars. Its listed on ebay now so check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4598578628&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

Ewww....its the usual Red on Tan TGP coupe..... :puke:

Starting it out at 2k on ebay is probably gonna hurt you. You probably won't get a lot of bids that way. Especially with those kind of miles (since they aren't really low) and the ABS light being on.

I'd also like to see those "mildly modded" TGP's in the 13's. All of them that I know of in the 13's have had extensive engine work including heads/cam. A chip gets you solidly in the 14's...not in the 13's.

Just to let you know, the only 3 options for the TGP is leather, moonroof, and cd player. (it didn't seem like you were sure reading that description)

That looks like a fairly nice car, but due to its age and mileage and the abs light being on (which could mean a $2k+ master cylinder) I can't see it being worth quite $2k. Good luck on the sale though and I hope to see you around, I truly hope you do get what you're asking out of it though because I like to know that these cars actually do still have some value.

Shawn

2k master cylinder, are you on crack?! lol there 700$ from Prior! mabye 2k from GM but who wants that! It looks ok, better pictures, jees, it looks like your trying to hide somtihng about it. Whats wrong with Red and Tan??!

I own 3 tgps two of them being red and tan .. I havent spent more then 700 on one of these cars and only one of them is even close to that high of millage.. If it sells give the buyer a complametry good one sucka for me..

2k master cylinder, are you on crack?! lol there 700$ from Prior! mabye 2k from GM but who wants that! It looks ok, better pictures, jees, it looks like your trying to hide somtihng about it. Whats wrong with Red and Tan??!

Have you tried to get one from Prior lately??? They sure as hell aren't $700 for them now. They are close to $2k. They are around $3k or so from GM IIRC. But even still, lets say they were "only" $700, that little light being on would, to me, drop the value that much. Making his car worth a max. of $1300 in my book. I'd pay $1200 for it, maybe $1500 if I saw the car and it looked nicer than it does in the pics, but $2k or more is a bit steep for me. When my dad bought his TGP ~3 years ago, its pretty much identical to that one (red on tan but no leather, however the interior was perfect no rips or anything) it had 103k on it and the paint looked almost perfect, the car had absolutely no door dings in it at all, had never seen winter so the underside of it looked brand new, and it cost him $1500, the abs light was blinking (needed accumulator) so the guy got scared and sold it.

Shawn

I have seen people buy turbo motors for $1300. and pay $2000 for the tranny to get rebuilt. The accumulator is likely all that needs replaced on the master cyl. so that makes it very justifiable.

People will pay that much for a N/A w- body all the time. I just dont get it.

I have seen people buy turbo motors for $1300. and pay $2000 for the tranny to get rebuilt. The accumulator is likely all that needs replaced on the master cyl. so that makes it very justifiable.

People will pay that much for a N/A w- body all the time. I just dont get it.

2.8/3.1/3100/3800 W-bodies basically have no maintance needs becides rear calipers which arn't much. a $2000 w-body should be perfect.

when buying a TGP, you can almost assume it will need a crossover and ABS work, and this stuff isn't like $20

abs work? yea so do typhoons, and grand nationals.

other w-bodies dont have aux tranny coolers that work with the air dam, so their slushboxes go out even easier. unless you floor it in OD all the time and take it like 120 mph with no valence panel;showing off and overheating the tranny....

Its not power that takes them out, its heat and stupidity. I stupidly blew my OD, and things break, valence panels get smashed, people dont have the common sense sometimes to take preventative measures. tranny temp gauges and air dams and fluid/filter changes. not the trannys fault.

where I am going with this :?: :leaving:

abs work? yea so do typhoons, and grand nationals.

other w-bodies dont have aux tranny coolers that work with the air dam, so their slushboxes go out even easier. unless you floor it in OD all the time and take it like 120 mph with no valence panel;showing off and overheating the tranny....

i understand what you're saying, I got SCREWED UP THE ASS on the last w-body I bought

in short, the Getrag 282 started popping out of 5th gear, 2 hours after i purchased the car. an obvious sign the trans was TRASHED. the seller wouldn't refund my money. 2 weeks later, the trans failed completely.

however, TGP's are harder on the transmissions altogether because of their higher torque output, and they arn't always replaced with HD 4T60's, leading to sooner failure.

all w-bodies suffer from poor transmission reliablity, but TGP's have additional problems that normal non-LQ1 W's don't have.

just trying to explain why TGP's sell cheap.

tgps have the LG5 not the LQ1 IIRC. Thats why I dont see why they sell cheap.

They are the only w's that have it.

I cant see why anyone in their right mind would put a 4t60 non HD into a LG5 package. they will fail and have to be replaced with a turbo car tranny.

Its not power that takes them out, its heat and stupidity. I stupidly blew my OD, and things break, valence panels get smashed, people dont have the common sense sometimes to take preventative measures. tranny temp gauges and air dams and fluid/filter changes. not the trannys fault.

I beg to differ. Say that to the hard parts that came out of my STE's tranny with the gears stripped completely off of them due to torque... Some of the failures are due to stupidity, I will agree, but others are due to the fact that those trannies can't take the 350+ ft.lbs that some of the modded LG5 powered cars are making.

I cant see why anyone in their right mind would put a 4t60 non HD into a LG5 package. they will fail and have to be replaced with a turbo car tranny.

Because they are much cheaper trannies and people think if it bolts in and functions the same then why pay more for the other one. They don't think about long term...just short term.

Shawn

wow,I did get a nice topic started and I must say guys know your GP stuff. Any way I do know this car was not ran hard because it was a lady in her mid 40's who traded it in and I'm not 100% on this but I think she was the only owner.And it shifts out nice.Better pic's on ebay now.

tgps have the LG5 not the LQ1 IIRC. Thats why I dont see why they sell cheap.

They are the only w's that have it.

i never said TGP's have the LQ1.

LQ1's have excessive maintance needs of their own, which is why I singled them out in my comparison of TGP's vs regular w's.

I beg to differ. Say that to the hard parts that came out of my STE's tranny with the gears stripped completely off of them due to torque... Some of the failures are due to stupidity, I will agree, but others are due to the fact that those trannies can't take the 350+ ft.lbs that some of the modded LG5 powered cars are making.

Because they are much cheaper trannies and people think if it bolts in and functions the same then why pay more for the other one. They don't think about long term...just short term.

Shawn

An LG5 is a TGP or TSTE with a 4t60 hd tranny. anything else is not an LG5 if it dont have that drivetrain. correct?

i thought the w trannies are doing better than most give credit, they lasted what, 15 years or more of harsh abuse from teenagers driving them, and you guys beeting them, and just cause there old treating them like crap and beating them, but they go out 16 or so years later after all that, there just crappy work GM did, i think what about the ford taurus thats babied and never beat and the hting pukes the trans guts at 50-60k for no reason :lol:

I personally think the trans was designed well for the power the engine puts out. As stated in in another thread, GM rated the trans at 230 ft lbs. The problem is when you mod the car a little the trans just won't last.

i thought the w trannies are doing better than most give credit, they lasted what, 15 years or more of harsh abuse from teenagers driving them, and you guys beeting them, and just cause there old treating them like crap and beating them, but they go out 16 or so years later after all that, there just crappy work GM did, i think what about the ford taurus thats babied and never beat and the hting pukes the trans guts at 50-60k for no reason :lol:

They do great for what they are meant for. But once you start modding the car and making decent torque they blow up pretty easily, no matter what the miles. My dads TGP coupe has the stock trans and just has a chip, t-stat, K&N filter, and no cat and the trans is pretty much perfect and it has over 140k on it.

Shawn