• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crazy K

• birdman

• GP1138

• pwmin

Top Posters In This Topic

i notice it mostly when im pulling in somewhere and go over a dip and the tires slip a little and it kicks in the abs and the lo trac light comes on.

Actually i was thinking about this... the low trac light indictes that the abs just operated, in an attempt to warn you of low traction condiations. It has nothing to do with traction control. The 95 CS has this light, but the 94 CS doesn't.

... Its kinda weird having a green light lit up on the gauges tho.

Green light? An indicator for second gear start being engaged?

anyone got a full wiring diagram they would like to share?

i notice it mostly when im pulling in somewhere and go over a dip and the tires slip a little and it kicks in the abs and the lo trac light comes on.

Actually i was thinking about this... the low trac light indictes that the abs just operated, in an attempt to warn you of low traction condiations. It has nothing to do with traction control. The 95 CS has this light, but the 94 CS doesn't.

to an extent: when traction control kicks in it kicks in the abs as far as i know

to an extent: when traction control kicks in it kicks in the abs as far as i know

does your car have actual traction control?

the 95 CS manual explained that the low trac light is what I said it was above.

I have heard of a few ways of managing traction control:

1 abs system which slows/stops a spinning wheel,

2 tranmission internal, such as the caddy i mentioned, it actually has a traction control specific tranny. I learned of this one when someone was trying to replace a new tranny and it was discovered that a transmission shop did a hack job installed a wrong transmission and that the traction control wiring was ruined by them and No transmission would work in that vehicle.

3 engine management. Cut off injectors? changing the timing? something like that..

the only traction control that I've personally worked with is on the ford mustangs, where it will cut power to the engine by cutting injectors and ignition to cylinders to reduce the ammount of usable torque.

I poked 'round lookin' for OBD-II info on the 2nd gear start, couldn't find it yet, I'm still lookin' - I'm gonna call a friend who's been workin' at the local GM dealership for years (specializing in computer controls)

For the record, I'm going on my 8th MN winter (and 3 colorado winters in there too) and I've never "needed" the second gear start, I've had all sorts of rear-wheel drive cars, and all sorts of front wheel drive cars, both automatic and manual versions of both, and after 11 years of driving in winter crap, it's nice to have the 2nd gear start to get rid of some of the hastle when taking off on extremely icy situations. That's not to say I can't do it without the 2nd gear start, but sometimes it's nice to have that option to make things to a bit easier ...

--Dave.

The green light is only on the 94-96 GP cluster and says SECOND GEAR START. On my car, the switch is below the dic and light with TRANS comes on when i push the button.

TRANS??? This is all I get.

IMG_1538.jpg

The green light is only on the 94-96 GP cluster and says SECOND GEAR START. On my car, the switch is below the dic and light with TRANS comes on when i push the button.

TRANS??? This is all I get.

He also has an older Grand Prix, with the older interior and cluster.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE BUMP WHATEVER!!!!!

On my recent looting spree of a j/y I picked up FOUR 2nd gear start buttons...

3 I believe were from 94 GP

1 from a 95 or 96......

The difference is the 95/96 one has extra wires and appears to be illuminated!

So I ask again... with reference to the 94-95 PCM does anyone have the pin info for it???

as well as a wiring diagram perhaps?

I opened up the switch.

No "red parking backlit".

It has a little green bulb... Possibly instead of, or in addition to, the gauge indicator. It may be a 96 only.... I took parts from 20+ vehicles in three hours.... I know It is the same red 2door Gp I harvested brake lines from for my CS vert.... :D

found it in my factory manual.

For a 94 CS,

for 3100 PCM:

pin A21 on the clear connector is the second gear start request.

for 3.4 PCM:

pin C22 is listed on the green connector is the second gear start request.

REMEMBER these wires are Blue wires. Don't tap a wrong wire!

Now if I can figure out the backlite switch....

I need to know, if anyone has a backlite switch, is it on only when the switch is engaged? And is there an included gauge light with a lighting switch?

Update on switch:

pin wire for the switch:

A Pink - hot for green indicator light inside the switch, if equipped

B Black -ground for parking backlite, if equipped

C Gray - Hot for parking backlite, if equipped

D blank

E Balck ground

F Dark Blue - line to PCM

Most switches will only use E and F, and have only those two wires attached.

The 96(?) switch has all five wires listed, but B and C are not connected to anything internal of the switch.

Consequentally: B, C, and D not used on any of the switches I picked up.

A is only used if it has the internal indicator bulb, BUT I do not know where/how to plug it in yet. AND it shares the circuit with the PCM, so It would be too dangerous to hook up without having the proper GP diagram, as hooking it up will allow electricity to backfeed into the ecm.

ok well yesterday i took the pcm out and the upper right wire in the connector furthest to the right already had a wire in it and was labled B5, so im assuming that isnt it right? if that is the wire do i just splice into it? thanks.

well heres the pics, there not very good but i think theyll do, and crazy, as you can see it was a red wire that was in the spot dave said it should be.

DSC00015.jpg

the pcm sits like this

DSC00019.jpg

and the wires are like this. ive got more pics just let me know if you want to see them.

Ok that is the red wire at the far right of the blue plug, correct?

ok... my research indicates that the 94 has the pin on the exact same spot on the plug, BUT not the same plug. The 94 manual says it is on the green plug, (ie third), but the other three plugs are completely different colors. So all the info I have has nothing to do with your model. I'm sorry.

It doesn't matter what book you look at, but if you can find any dealer service manual for a W that had a 3.4 in 92 it should tell you for certain which pin it is, as the under-the-hood wiring harness appears to be universal to the engine not the w-model.

BTW I have finished the second gear start install in the 95. stand by for pics.

I discovered that the wire for seoncd gear start exists up to the firewall connector, but stops there.... I've learned how to pop the connector out and did so, and installed a wire connector in the apporiate spot to recieve the wire(spot J1 on a 94+ CS)

Picture071.jpg

I melted a hole with a soldering iron. and trimmed the switch to fit.

Picture079.jpg

finshed.

Picture081.jpg[/img]

YEAH second gear start is Kinda Dorky.... But it would really make a difference when it counts. I tested it on the sleet outside and you really have to rev it to break traction on the slush, when the switch is engaged.

I still have a lighted switch and have decided that adding a relay to the line would allow the PCM to be isolated from the switch to prevent possible backfeed...