• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• birdman

• Crazy K

• supreme_style21

• jeremy

not that i want your car to look bad, but I'd take it easy get a used mirror and fix the window issue, and come spring, debate about new doors or fixing it. (as long as it's only cosmetic and not serious. (in the meantime pop the door panels off and push the panels back out, once the adjusters have given you a check. -ken

p.s. ever done body work? This is your chance!

I am on your side on this one. We gotta realize we drive 10+ year old GM sedans and coupes (and most of which are high mileage). Our cars are utterly worthless. I carry full coverage (For what reason, only God knows) and if someone were to hit my car, I'd take the insurance check and drive a smashed up car. Sure I'd be upset that I lost my car, but its OLD and WORTHLESS. Its like expecting your 98 year-old grandma to live for another thirty years. SHE WON'T. These things aren't worth fixing! Even the smallest dent typically total out these things. What you stick into it, you usually won't get back out of it. 3.4, 3.1, Special Edition, Limited Edition, Rare-Somethingorother, it doesn't matter..... these things are giant writeoffs.

Pessimist!

It should be fixed but I think it should be DIY. take the insurance money and buy bondo! Nothing like paying someone 20 times the cost of you to do the same thing. If you own a older car you should expect to handle this.

Personnally, I wouldn't bat an eye at running the car a million miles. its the quality of the car that counts not the freaking mileage or age. (yeah I expect to fix things) and I'll stilll own my vert in 50 years, They can pry it's keys from my dead life-less hands.

not that i want your car to look bad, but I'd take it easy get a used mirror and fix the window issue, and come spring, debate about new doors or fixing it. (as long as it's only cosmetic and not serious. (in the meantime pop the door panels off and push the panels back out, once the adjusters have given you a check. -ken

p.s. ever done body work? This is your chance!

I am on your side on this one. We gotta realize we drive 10+ year old GM sedans and coupes (and most of which are high mileage). Our cars are utterly worthless. I carry full coverage (For what reason, only God knows) and if someone were to hit my car, I'd take the insurance check and drive a smashed up car. Sure I'd be upset that I lost my car, but its OLD and WORTHLESS. Its like expecting your 98 year-old grandma to live for another thirty years. SHE WON'T. These things aren't worth fixing! Even the smallest dent typically total out these things. What you stick into it, you usually won't get back out of it. 3.4, 3.1, Special Edition, Limited Edition, Rare-Somethingorother, it doesn't matter..... these things are giant writeoffs.

Pessimist!

It should be fixed but I think it should be DIY. take the insurance money and buy bondo! Nothing like paying someone 20 times the cost of you to do the same thing. If you own a older car you should expect to handle this.

Personnally, I wouldn't bat an eye at running the car a million miles. its the quality of the car that counts not the freaking mileage or age. (yeah I expect to fix things) and I'll stilll own my vert in 50 years, They can pry it's keys from my dead life-less hands.

Well if you want to drop the cash on a car worth 400 bucks, awesome, do it. I'll take my check and buy a new car worth less effort. I've got a few cars worth 500 bucks... and they have 500 bucks worth of work that should be performed on them, yet I'll drive those things til they take a shit. I'm not sticking money into a car that isn't worth it.

i guess you really have to look at it in your own light because im broke and dont really see much that i can do besides make the best of it and hopefully come out on top because theres no way im going to get another car that runs as good for what it would take to fix this one myself.

i guess you really have to look at it in your own light because im broke and dont really see much that i can do besides make the best of it and hopefully come out on top because theres no way im going to get another car that runs as good for what it would take to fix this one myself.

x2 if you've taken good care of a car and fixed it's issues, it's always better than any other car you would pick up off the street. I'vwe got a story for you to read and I need to get pics up soon..... My lumina is a total POS but it has so many parts that are new or in excellent condition, that it it got wrecked tomorrow. I would have everything i need to build out my CS Vert. Struts, brakes, tranny, a better conditioned engine, radiator, condensor, steering rack, tierods, balljoints, and all the engine accesories....

my story...

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36540

You might scoff at how easily is is to go buy another one, but my lumina was the second car I bought in one month. I had just bought another and bought all the parts it needed to be 'right', including all new very expensive brakehardware, and to find a strutural crack... a new car might be someone else's unwanted can of worms. You think you got a good deal? THey're laughing at you when you bought a car they know has something wrong they don't wanna fix.

I've done all the work, all my lumina needs now is a new body lol!

I don't scoff at keeping a car. I understand teh value of keeping a car that you are familiar with. If there is anyone that is scared to death of buying a new car, because of not knowing EXACTLYwhat it is, its me. I just realize that what I DO drive carries no value.

I just realize that what I DO drive carries no value.

You're the same as me. I know if my car gets a small dent anywhere I'd be better off fixing it myself then putting in a claim. My car is worth no more then $2125 cdn to the insurance company. Not much damage can = 2125 quite fast.

yea i hope its like that. well here's the pics, it looks a little worse in person but its still not that bad. sorry for the dirty pics but its snowy and cold so thats its winter look.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

hey! thats not that bad! New mirror, maybe a new door...

and get that driver door handle fixed(not from accident???). Try a used white CS four door handle. same handle AND color! and get the L R doors handle.

Umm is it your insurance company (comprehensive) or theirs that will pay?

I'd go for everything you can if it's theirs, but I would avoid too much of a claim against your own less you rates get raised. (You can take the other persons insurance money and run, but possibly not you own... )

What you should do, is get your insurance company to get an appraisal done on the car. That's where they inspect your car and give you what it's worth in person, not by book price. So, say you total your car...they give you the appraisal price instead. Also, if you go to sell it, use the appraisal papers to show the interested buyer it's real value.

there insurance is payin for it but im not too sure of my abilitys to get the door pulled out and really wouldnt want to have to go through replacing it and changing over locks and stuff. hopefully i can get the 1600 out of them and do whatever i want. 8)

What you should do, is get your insurance company to get an appraisal done on the car. That's where they inspect your car and give you what it's worth in person, not by book price. So, say you total your car...they give you the appraisal price instead. Also, if you go to sell it, use the appraisal papers to show the interested buyer it's real value.

well the prob with that is my car looks like ass now with its different colors and they would most likley appraise it real low, but i might have em do it just to seewhat they come up with. and i ment if my car is worth more ill get the money for my 1600 quote to fix it

About the different colored fenders and shit, get some Tremclad BLACK primer, and get Arctic White GM paint spray cans and paint em' white. You could tape it off, or take the fender right off to paint it.

Well i get home monday and im told that a message was left from the guy who owns the van that hit me. so i call him back and he starts off, well to get you back on the road quick i had a chat with my boss and he thinks its best if we just write you a check for the $1612.48 estimate :shock: :shock: :shock: . at that exact moment was the closest i have come to shitting my pants. no way would i have ever gotten that much through insurance. so i went there and picked up my check and signed the release of claims and went on my merry way to the bank. 8) Just thought id give you guys an update on my good fortuine. pland on buyin all my own tools and doin it myself and gettin it painted in the spring. mabey a few performance goodies too. :twisted:

Rock on. Sometimes when it ends up going privately like that, ya come out WAY ahead.

A few months ago, someone backed into my friends work van.. worth maybe 600 bucks on a good day. The guy told him to get an estimate for fixing it... came out to be like 1900 bucks, so the dude wrote him a check for 1900ish and wished him luck. Haha I hope someone hits me HARD and wants to pay for the damages.

wow thats a breath of fresh air from the person who dosen't speak english who has no car insurace, since thats generally the type of person who hits you.