value of my car--- DOSNT REALLY MATTER NOW pg 3

birdman

i know there are websites like kbb and all that to tell you how much the car is worth but what would an insurance company use, retail or private? sombody hit me and im not looking to get my car totaled and the estimates are kinda high but i still dont know how to tell how much its worth. anybody know?? thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• birdman

• Crazy K

• supreme_style21

• jeremy

4-Door Sedan

1992 Chevrolet Lumina

Sedan 4D Euro

December 09, 2005

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail

Base Price

$1,100 $1,875 $2,375

So there not COMPLETLY crazy on thier prices, The TGP is a "Collectors car"

From experience, insurance companies tend to give a lil more than what they're actually worth.

What its supposed to do is not really give you the value of your car, but give you the money to buy a vehicle that'll put you back into the place you were at when your vehicle was totalled.

Like, the value of my car is like 2 grand. If I got that on the market, I'd be content. But to actually buy one from a dealership, in the same condition and same mileage would cost, according to this area's market, is around $3,800. SO persay my car were totalled tomorrow, I'd probably get in the 3grand range for it.

The general rule I use when selling a car is halfway between the private and retail price. So $2100 for yours which sounds about right, I'd let a buyer decide if it is worth that much, and negotiate to an agreeable price.

An Insurance company will value your car at what they think it's worth, which might be lower that $1300 if I had to bet.

thats not too bad. They may pay to fix it, new mirror and body work (or used doors, etc.) BUT if they call it totaled, it doesn't mean it's really 'totaled', it means the insurance company considers the car worth less than the cost to fix. You will at least get whichever is the lesser. Unfortunatly, it they call it totaled you're better off just fixing it yourself. J/Y mirror, doors OR body work and paint. not terrible, but not too bad.

pics?

also, how did your brakework finally turn out? -Ken

well the brakes work good enough, i think the front calipers will need replaced but it stops ok now. ive done two quotes at dealers, one was 2100 and the other was 1600, but they want to get new door skins 350 a piece and a new mirror-200, and paint and labor. im going to 3 C tomarrow and see if they will just pull the dents and fix my window (off track) and ill get a mirror and buff it out later. i will have pics tomarrow morning.

new door skins? lol You could buy whole new doors or pound the dents out and bondo it cheaper and have some insurance money to do those brakes! You are not required to have the car fixed with the money they give you! Buy a j/y mirror and see what can be done yourself before paying big bucks.

If it's not a major issue, you could just start looking around until you find white doors off a parts car, but you would have to change your exterior handle and lower moulding would be all.

But get those front brakes done.

you could just start looking around until you find white doors off a parts car,

that will be easier said then done...they would have to come from another Euro3.4 otherwise they wouldn't properly match...

new door skins? lol You could buy whole new doors or pound the dents out and bondo it cheaper and have some insurance money to do those brakes! You are not required to have the car fixed with the money they give you! Buy a j/y mirror and see what can be done yourself before paying big bucks.

If it's not a major issue, you could just start looking around until you find white doors off a parts car, but you would have to change your exterior handle and lower moulding would be all.

But get those front brakes done.

yea thats kinda what i had in mind, ive got a few more places to check but i have somebody who might do it real cheap and then ill do the front calipers and have em do the dent in the rear quarter while there at it. 8) ive just gotta find out how much thell value the car at first and go from there.

not that i want your car to look bad, but I'd take it easy get a used mirror and fix the window issue, and come spring, debate about new doors or fixing it. (as long as it's only cosmetic and not serious. (in the meantime pop the door panels off and push the panels back out, once the adjusters have given you a check. -ken

p.s. ever done body work? This is your chance!

check my website and thats not including the wreck i got in with those stupid brakes. its all debatble though, it would be real nice to get the rear fixed professionally and do the rest myself and then use the money for a paint job, but who knows how it'll turn out.

not that i want your car to look bad, but I'd take it easy get a used mirror and fix the window issue, and come spring, debate about new doors or fixing it. (as long as it's only cosmetic and not serious. (in the meantime pop the door panels off and push the panels back out, once the adjusters have given you a check. -ken

I am on your side on this one. We gotta realize we drive 10+ year old GM sedans and coupes (and most of which are high mileage). Our cars are utterly worthless. I carry full coverage (For what reason, only God knows) and if someone were to hit my car, I'd take the insurance check and drive a smashed up car. Sure I'd be upset that I lost my car, but its OLD and WORTHLESS. Its like expecting your 98 year-old grandma to live for another thirty years. SHE WON'T. These things aren't worth fixing! Even the smallest dent typically total out these things. What you stick into it, you usually won't get back out of it. 3.4, 3.1, Special Edition, Limited Edition, Rare-Somethingorother, it doesn't matter..... these things are giant writeoffs.

i agree 100% but if i can end up better off than i was i might as well do it and i have plans for my car beyond it getting smashed up and driving it till it dies. Ive just got to figure the best way to go about getting the most i can out the insurance money. its just debatble if i should give them the quotes i already got though.

i agree 100% but if i can end up better off than i was i might as well do it and i have plans for my car beyond it getting smashed up and driving it till it dies. Ive just got to figure the best way to go about getting the most i can out the insurance money. its just debatble if i should give them the quotes i already got though.

If it'll total the car, ya usually end up better. I've never worked for any insurance company, so I can't say for sure, but, like I said, from experience, ya typically get more than the car is worth. If I totalled my car tomorrow (tear) and the insurance company said they'd give me 4 grand, as much as I love the car, I'd take that check and laugh all the way to the bank. Money CAN buy love.

But the SECOND I smash up a fully-covered car is the second I stop sticking money into it. Take the insurance cash and drive it till it takes a shit. Oil changes, who cares. The only money I"d put into it would be gas :lol: