So, what would you do if you kept blowing trannies......

TurboZ24

I have access to a rocket parts gear limited slip from a Friend for the HM-282. I'm trying too see if I can work a deal. Also talked too 2 other shops about the HM-125C. They can build them too take it, and guarentee them for 6 months, along with a 3000-3200 stall converter, but..... It's not cheap. 2000-3000 bucks with the converter.

True gear based LSD, sure. Not a clutch style or "push" style like that engineered performance or the Phantom crap.

Do you have more info about the different styles so I can educate myself before I talk to him? 8)

How does freezing a metal make it stronger? Do you have a link to that procidure?

A "salt bath" or " Salt Bath Ferritic Nitrocarburizing" hardening would cost about 200bucks. It mostly covers the use and waste of the salt and chemicals.

The other way is heated in a oven in gaseous nitrogen.

Or the Nuker (microwave) mithod--ion nitriding. Cost just like a salt bath.

Advance Heat Treatment ( http://www.ahtweb.com/ ) is one company that can do heat treating. Im thinking of going to them for my crank and tranny parts.

The only weak link I see on my 3t40 is top speed so far.

If you are talking about cryofreezing, it's a similar technique too heat treating. The claim is that by supercooling the metal, you cause the molicules too rearrange, in a similar fashion too heat treatment. The articles I've read on the process say that it's used primarily too supplement heat treatment, but can be used alone.

If you are talking about cryofreezing, it's a similar technique too heat treating. The claim is that by supercooling the metal, you cause the molicules too rearrange, in a similar fashion too heat treatment. The articles I've read on the process say that it's used primarily too supplement heat treatment, but can be used alone.

Very true. By using Cryo Treating and then heat treating the metal will make it super hard. It also depends on what types of steels are being used to make the actual gears. I mean, they can be using a light steel and just heat treating it, but in the end it'll fail b/c it was a lower grade steel.

Ok...I am going to be working with my guy here in the springs over the next few months to test what needs to be done to the 282 to make it more durable to the torque the Vin V will put out with heavy mods.

We are trying to do it in a way that will allow for stronger internals without breaking the bank accounts.

It is going to be a little bit...but when he saw Curtis' video of the power he had he said, "this will be fun". I told him that the weight difference between the Z24 and the TGP was nearly 1000lbs difference it would need to be modeled after the TGP to easily afford room for the Z24 weight.

He said the LSD's he uses/builds will not be any sort of a weak point. The internal shafts & load points are what are weak.

We will be testing on his tranny dyno to find the fail points and build them up from there.

Just wanted to let everyone know we are going to build something...just don't know the final cost just yet to make it "bullet proof". :wink: 8)

Is your contact going to be looking for "Autos" to strenghten also....I think I may know someone who will have a willing donor car this spring :shock:

Was going to go with a 3000 stall for the bigger turbo, shift kit, and "red" clutch packs, am going to do some other mods also like the dual tranny coolers w/ ram air to them, make cooling fins for the tranny pan, and add a plug to it.

I am working with Jim "Will" Williams for making a 4t60SD he owns the Western Trannies group out here in Colorado. He saw the ass ends of the TSTE and TGP in the garage and stopped to say hello when he was seeing his daughter in my neighborhood. He has two of his guys researching what it will take to make it handle at least 500 ft/lbs of torque. That started last week...but talked to him yesterday and might need a tranny to build. I know where there are two of them presently which would be good for both High Mileage rebuild platform and low mileage rebuild platform.

Talked to him about stall converters and he said that will be after the trannies are build and dyno tested. Same dyno for the 5-speed trannies I am trying to get built.

Damn I love Colorado! :twisted: