Symptoms of bad tranny vac. modulator?

slick

So, what are some symptoms of a bad transmission vac. modulator? Having a few wierd problems with my tranny as of yesterday(yeah, happened in one day, previous day it ran perfectly fine). Gonna check some vac. lines as well, make sure they are all good.

Thanks.

Yep, hard shifts mainly from R to 1, 1-2, and 2-1. At least that's how it was when I plugged the vac line on my 2.8.

I suppose the opposite could happen also, really sloppy shifts :shrug:

shifts slower, revs higher. it can really make a trans act weird (many many different things)

Chris run to an autoparts store, get an adjustable one and give it 2-3 turns in and slap it in (10 min tops) 13mm bolt :twisted:

Hmm.... well, for anyone that has ridden in my car, my car is supposed to shift firm. Like, break the dash in half firm. But, today, it's not harsh shifting at all, and in fact feels kinda slow shifting into gears(and outta park as well), and doesn't want to shift correctly at higher RPM's.

I think Tony and I are going to run to the parts store tomorrow morning while he is here.

Me not being the great Auto person....what, just tell them you need an Adjustable one? They universal or how does it work? tell them the trans, they give you an adjustable one or regular one?....wow I feel dumb asking such an easy question... :oops:

Basicly, Shucks convo : I need a Transmission Vacuum Modulator : what year, car, and model, : 1990, Pontiac, Grand Prix, What trim, duhh LE, SE or McLaren? :Mclaren, make sure it is for the 4T60 Transmission : ok, 21.99 or somthing, but we gotta order it

They dont sell the original anymore, the only one u CAN get is the Adjustable one

Stupid toledo freezing cold weather, last night was insane.

Yep, nice and cold and snowy as hell.

Tony will be here around 11-ish, so we will probably run up there sometime before 3(gotta work today damnit).

When is the last time you changed your filter and fluid?

Fluid and a filter due for a change can be aggravated by the cold as a dirty filter would reduce the trannys' hydraulic pressure.. in addition to the already thickened fluid.

I've seen trannies act up and not go for two or three minutes simply because of this problem. - Ken

P.S. When they do a "total flush" they don't change the filter! Even if your fluid looks great, it doesn't reflect the filter condition anymore!

I got a bunch while on a job some time ago, I've been putting them in ever since!

(I also run with a magnetic oil plug)

One quick thought.... is your remote trans cooler inline before or after it runs through the basic radiator trans cooler? The reason I ask is theoretically the radiator one would help modulate the temperature to prevent over cooling the fluid, if it was inline after the remote one(and that is how mine is set up). -ken