time for some new ball joints

Darksyde

Man I was shocked to read GM had ball joints you could buy for themselves.In the past,you had to buy the entire control arm from GM just to get new ball joints.I havent been in the auto business for a while but that was the norm when I worked in GM dealerships back in the 90's.

That being said,wanted to suggest if any of you have a Pier19 imports store,go there to get your tools super cheap.They have every auto specialty tool there cheap and theyre the same crap as harbor frieght or other cheap outlets.For tools you may use once or twice,its cheap enough to go.Seen the pullers and etc for 5-10 bucks in the package.For tools you use all the time,craftsman,snap on,or etc is the way to go.

The tool kit listed above in the pic,you could possibly get all them for under 40 bucks or so at a Pier19 store.Just wanted to let you all know in case theres a store near you.

Btw some years back I ordered a folding cherry picker from summit racing for 199.00 plus truck frieght.

Found the same exact picker at pier19 imports for 145 with the same 8 ton boom.My mouth just dropped.I could have just went there and picked it up and saved myself 150 bucks.

:lol:

i used whatever autozones better brand was "duralast" i think, i was very skeptical about them, but over a year later they still don't have any play and hold grease just fine. plus they got a lifetime warranty.

Guest TurboSedan

i'm going to use GM balljoints for the reason Shawn used them and they are cheaper than the 'good' NAPA brand balljoints.

i'll be ordering them this week...strut mounts and boots are on the way and my Intrax springs are waiting to go onto my '96 sturt/knuckle assemblies (for big brake upgrade; i already have new front pads and buying 11.25" rotors this week). my TSTE is going to have the stink-bug stance going on soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TurboSedan
Nope. They're sealed for life. That's why I like 'em. All joints I've ever used with zerks didn't last as long.

i just got my GM balljoints today. they are greaseable and come with the zirk fitting.

GM part# 88911642

i got them from rockauto.com for $105 after shipping.

Guest TurboSedan

they are in an AC Delco box just like i'd get from the local dealership.

besides the GM part# listed above, it also has:

ACD# 45D2148

fwiw the box says "Made in USA"

the balljoints come with mounting bolts/nuts, castle nut, cotter pin, zerk fitting and boot.

instructions say the balljoint bolts should be tightened 10-12 ft/lbs. castle nut should be torqued to 7 ft/lbs with and additional 120* turn (2 flats). do not tighten more than 60* (1 flat) to align the cotter pin hole.

Guest TurboSedan
instructions say the balljoint bolts should be tightened 10-12 ft/lbs.

:shock:

the bolts are small. any tighter and they would likely snap. 12ft/lbs sounds right to me.