Rough idle, stalling codes #35 and #43

kkey

I have a 1992 Cutlass that runs like it is mis-firing on a cylinder and gives a code 35 and 43. The mis-fire comes and goes as does the SES light. I know that the code 35 is the IAC and 43 is the knock senseer. Will replacing the IAC and knock senser take care of the problem or should I be looking at another area of the car?

Just looking for some opinions before the money starts flowing into the car.

First off, welcome to the board! Hope you find valuable information and friendly advice from all of us. Well, before you go off and spend cash on expensive sensors... try some of the basic fixes: first, for the mis-fire make sure it's not the plug wires or a ignition coil. Wires are pretty cheap, so if you haven't changed those out lately you might want to consider.

Also, like you said, clean out the throttle body out, plus remove the Idle Pintle valve and make sure there's no carbon build - up. A can of throttle body cleaner can take care of that, just make sure not to soak the sensor... it's electrical based and could fry it. A thing to keep in mind too is the air / fuel mixture and that could cause a SES light...

As for the knock sensor, take care of that right away. If not, you'll find yourself stuck on the road and not being able to start the car. Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress! :wink:

- RedFox340

ive started and drove the car with the knock sensor disconnected, so I'd like to know where the hell that information is coming from......I just got a check engine light on occasion.

As to getting those codes, odds are that it could be something else. I remember a problem I had once that brought up multiple codes, might have actually been 35 and 43. Does the car idle high, like over 900rpm? does the engine idle go up and down as you're coming to a stop?

First steps, as mentioned, remove the IAC and gently spray off the carbon on the pintle with throttle body cleaner. You can use a toothbrush to get it cleaner, just dont mess with the position of the pintle (kind of hard to anyway). With the air box tube off (engine off), and a rag wedged under the throttle body, open up the throttle plate and spray a bunch of throttle cleaner in there and let it drip back out. Spray some into the IAC bore and let that run out too. I'll check my book to see if any particular problem will set off those 2 codes, like I said it does sound familiar.

ive started and drove the car with the knock sensor disconnected, so I'd like to know where the hell that information is coming from......I just got a check engine light on occasion.

Ah... Brain P... you're right... Totally thinking about the Crank Position Sensor... scratch my comment above. Sorry about that; it's been a long day!

- RedFox340

Welcome kkey, I bought a GS emblem from you about a month ago. I have 2 TGP's and live in the Dallas area too. Maybe I'll see you at the upcoming Pontiac Nat'ls in Dallas eh! I just need to Properly polish my Nicer TGP. Sorry, can't help on the repair, As Bill Murray once said

"I don't play defence, better listen to Mike on this one".